A cooking fire at a Daytona Beach apartment late Tuesday afternoon claimed the life of a family pet and destroyed a kitchen at a residence in the 800 block of Derbyshire Road. Daytona Beach and Volusia County firefighters responded to the call Tuesday around 4:30 p.m., according to Daytona Beach Fire Department spokesperson Lt. Larry Stoney. Fire crews reported, “…heavy smoke…pouring from the second floor of the two-story wood-frame construction apartment complex…” as they arrived on the scene. As firefighters made their way into the second floor apartment, they found “…a fully-involved kitchen [fire] spreading into the living room.” The blaze was quickly extinguished, but fire crews also found a puppy in the rear bedroom. Firefighters tried to revive the puppy, but were not successful. They also reported damage from water to a first floor apartment.
Total loss declared
Lt. Stoney says fire crews learned that food had been frying on a stove in the kitchen, and the resident had left the kitchen, prior to the fire. The apartment was reported to be a total loss with damage estimated at over $75,000. The residents are receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.
Cooking top cause of home fires
Lt. Stoney also noted that cooking fires “…are the leading cause of home fire-related injuries…” and that home fires tend to start in the kitchen, more than any other place in the home.
Click here to visit the Daytona Beach Fire Department website.
You can contact this writer at email@example.com