In this new series called Cooking 101 at Casa de Cuisine, Chef Larry Edwards will teach you some of the dishes the Casa is known for and people love. Each of the inclusions in this new series will feature a complete how-to slideshow. So enjoy learning to cook with one of the most popular Chef's in the world and bestselling cookbook author.
Is there anyone who doesn't like pizza? I would venture to say that there is a pizza for everyone's liking, whether it be vegetarian or one loaded with meat and cheese. Pizza equates to fun food. It is fun to eat and it is fun to make. When it comes to pizza, there are really only two choices for pure enjoyability. You can get your pizza from a real pizzeria or you can make it at home. That frozen "stuff" they sell at markets is nothing but industrial waste and the cheap so-called pizza from the fast-food pizza places are chemical laced ingredients on something barely resembling dough.
There are two points which make a great pizza. The first is the crust. The second is the ingredients you opt to top your pizza with. For toppings you want the freshest ingredients available. For the crust, you want a yeast infused dough,. This recipe for pizza dough we use at Casa de Cuisine. It is a little lighter than most pizza dough's due to the fact we add a little cornstarch to the flour.
If you are accustomed to working with yeast infused dough's, you might notice something a little strange here. We are not "proofing" the yeast. This will give our pizza crust a lighter texture.
This is a very simple recipe that anyone can do at home and it will only cost you pennies to prepare.
Ingredients needed to make Casa Homemade Pizza Dough (makes 1 large pizza):
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. yeast
- 2 tsp. dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- Place all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and whisk them to combine.
- Add the water and stir to form a dough.
- Remove the dough to a floured surface and knead around five minute by hand.
- Place the dough back into the bowl, cover and let rise in a warm area one hour.
- Punch the dough down (yes, put your fist in it).
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and knead a few minutes.
- Shape the dough into a pizza crust (round, oval or square).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or use a pizza pan or pizza stone sprinkled with cornmeal)
- Place the pizza crust onto the prepared pan and proceed to make the pizza of your choice.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."