In this new series called Cooking 101 at Casa de Cuisine, Chef Larry Edwards will teach you some of the dishes the Casa is known for and people love. Each of the inclusions in this new series will feature a complete how-to slideshow. So enjoy learning to cook with one of the most popular Chef's in the world and bestselling cookbook author.
Who doesn't love tacos? Tacos even have their own day of the week in many areas -- the famed Taco Tuesday. At Casa de Cuisine we have an entire menu section on tacos and one of the most popular are our famed fish tacos. They are really quite simple and fast to make at home and they are also downright delicious.
For truly outstanding fish tacos, you want to use a proper fish. You want a white fleshed fish that is quite tender. You don't want to be gnawing your way through the taco. What we do different than most eateries which feature fish tacos is we saute the fish. Most other places will use a cheap fish which had been breaded or battered and then deep fried. Not only is this rather disgusting, it also ruins the texture of the taco and makes it quite unhealthy. For our fish tacos we exclusively use Swai fish, which can be found in many supermarkets and is relatively inexpensive.
When you're dealing with fish tacos the star of the dish should be the fish. You do not want to overpower the fish with a hot salsa or sauce. You simply want the fish enveloped with a slightly acidic combination of vegetables and then served in a soft flour tortilla.
This recipe will be presented to two parts. First, the preparation and cooking of the fish. Secondly, the preparation of the very mild salsa.
Ingredients needed to make Casa Fish Tacos (makes 4 tacos):
- 2 Swai fillets
- 1 Tbs. olive oil plus some for rubbing onto the fish fillets
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 flour tortillas
- Wipe the Swai fillets of any excess moisture.
- Rub the Swai fillets, on both sides, with some of the olive oil.
- Season both sides of the Swai fillets with the chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Set the prepared Swai fillets aside about 5 minutes.
- Pre-heat a large skillet of saute pan over medium heat with the 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the Swai fillets and saute about 5 minutes per side (depending on the thickness of the fillets).
- Remove the fillets from the pan and set them aside while you make the salsa.
Casa Fish Taco Salsa:
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 scallions (green onions), minced
- 8 leafs of romaine lettuce, ribs removed and leaves cut into julienne pieces
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- grated Colby Jack cheese
- Place all the ingredients, except the cheese, into a medium bowl and gently toss to combine.
- Let the salsa rest 10 minutes for the flavors to marry.
- Break-up the pieces of the sauteed Swai fillets and place into the flour tortilla.
- Spoon some of the Casa Fish Taco Salsa over the fish.
- Top with the grated Colby Jack cheese and serve.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."