In this new series called Cooking 101 at Casa de Cuisine, Chef Larry Edwards will teach you some of the dishes the Casa is known for and people love. Each of the inclusions in this new series will feature a complete how-to slideshow. So enjoy learning to cook with one of the most popular Chef's in the world and bestselling cookbook author.
There is a difference between spicy and hot and a perfect example of this is Cajun cuisine. When eating true Cajun food, your tongue will be tantalized but it will not burn. Cajun cooking is also quite quick and in most cases, very simple. A dish which epitomizes the true tastes and textures of Cajun cooking is Cajun Fish with Shredded Zucchini Parmesan.
If you want to be really authentic to Cajun cuisine when you prepare this dish, the fish you use will be catfish. If you can't find catfish, you can use the very popular swai fish, which is now in most markets and quite inexpensive. Swai is, in simple terms, as Asian version of catfish. A very fleshy fish which can take the heat of Cajun cooking.
The tantalizing flavors of this dish come from the Cajun seasoning. You can make your own Cajun seasoning blend (as we do at Casa de Cuisine) or you can purchase various commercial ones at your local market. When buying a commercial Cajun spice blend, look at the ingredients panel. You only want to see herbs and spices. If you see anything else, put it down and buy another one.
Ingredients needed to make Cajun Fish with Shredded Zucchini Parmesan (serves 2):
- 2 catfish of swai fillets
- 1 Tbs. Cajun seasoning
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- ! Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 zucchini, shredded
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Wipe the catfish or swai fillets of any moisture.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saute pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Sprinkle the Cajun seasoning over both sides of the fish.
- Place the fish into the pan and cook 5 minutes per side or to desired doneness.
- Remove the fish from the pan and set aside.
- Into the same pan over medium heat, add the olive oil and butter and stir until the butter melts.
- Add the garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Add the shredded zucchini and saute 7 minutes.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, stir and cook just until the Parmesan cheese begins to melt.
- Place the fish on serving plates, surround with the Shredded Zucchini Parmesan and serve.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."