When the aroma of baking cookies fills your kitchen everything seems right with the world. These chewy chocolate chip oatmeal cookies will be everyone’s favorite, so you’ll be baking cookies often. They are so soft and chewy; the oatmeal adds just the right texture and chocolate chips make them perfect. So are they oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips or chocolate chip cookies with oatmeal? What matters is that they are absolutely delicious!
You will want to chill this cookie dough for at least a couple hours prior to baking (overnight if you can). This helps the cookies maintain their shape without flattening.
When baking any cookies, always use non-stick aluminum foil (make sure you’re using the non-stick side) to cover the cookie sheet. This ensures that cookies don’t stick without having to grease the cookie sheet. It’s a perfect way to make cookies.
Here are a couple more hints and tips to make the best cookies:
- Use real ingredients – real butter, real vanilla, real chocolate, old-fashioned oatmeal (not the quick cooking kind), etc.
- Let the ingredients come to room temperature before using. Eggs, butter, milk, etc., should be removed from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes prior to use.
- Use a small cookie scoop (holds about 2 tablespoons – and looks like a little ice cream scoop). This ensures your cookies are all the same size.
- Only scoop cookie dough onto completely cooled cookie sheets (so the dough doesn’t spread before baking).
- Don’t over beat your cookies. Measure all dry ingredients into a separate bowl and whisk together. This way you don’t have to over mix your cookies to ensure the flour, baking soda, etc., are mixed well.
- Remove cookies from the oven a couple minutes early (they should still be a little gooey) and leave them on the baking sheet for at least 2 – 3 minutes so they can firm up before being transferred to a rack to cool.
Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
Ingredients for Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
Directions for baking Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking soda, and salt – whisk together, then add to the butter mixture – mix together just until incorporated. Stir in the oats and chocolate chips.
Cover the dough in plastic wrap and chill it in the refrigerator for at least three hours prior to baking.
Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. (Keep the dough in the refrigerator between batches.)
Bake for 11 – 12 minutes – then allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to finish cooling.
OTHER DELICIOUS COOKIE RECIPES:
Peanut butter cookie recipe – only 3 ingredients and they are WONDERFUL!
Best chocolate chip cookies ever – no kidding
No bake cookies – a classic
CLICK ON “SUBSCRIBE” ABOVE!