1. Life
  2. Health & Fitness
  3. Weight Loss & Dieting

Contamination: Unilever recalls all Slim-Fast canned drinks

Photo:  Business Wire

Late Thursday December 3, 2009, Unilever announced a recall of all Slim-Fast ready-to-drink products in the United States and Canada. An estimated 10 million cans of Slim-Fast ready-to-drink (RTD) diet shakes may be contaminated with the micro-organism Bacillus cereus, which can cause diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting. Production has been halted, and the company is trying to find the source of the possible contamination.

In cooperation with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Unilever states that the recall does not affect Slim-Fast energy bars and powdered protein shakes—only the RTD Slim Fast canned diet drinks. A Unilever press release, posted on the FDA website  states that “The recall involves all Slim-Fast® RTD products in cans, regardless of flavor, Best-By date, lot code or UPC number.”

The canned Slim-Fast drinks come in packages or four, six, or 12 cans of 11 ounces each. Consumers who have purchased the RTD Slim-Fast drinks are asked to discard them immediately. Unilever is requesting that these customers call 1-800-896-9479 to receive a full refund.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To be alerted to new articles by the Madison Diet & Exercise Examiner, click here to subscribe, and enter your email address. (Your address will not be shared.)  I love hearing from readers—email me if you have questions, comments, or a topic you would like to see covered.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other articles you may find of interest:
Reebok EasyTone sneakers:  the real deal or instability at a high price?
An exercise in gratitude:  giving thanks for this most imperfect miraculous body

Yes, as a matter of fact, liquid calories do make your butt look big:  part 1
Yes, as a matter of fact, liquid calories do make your butt look big:  part 2
Kick it with your own shape-up boot camp
When accumulated grief keeps you overweight

Comments

• gputscher 4 years ago

Thanks for the informative article.

• Dawn 4 years ago

Thank you for this well written article. I wonder if anything in a can is safe these days, and even though my logic tells me it is, in the back of my mind I always ask myself "is this one of those things they will discover was actually deadly a hundred years from now?". I'm glad I read this, I'm often tempted to try slimfast, but I have a juicer that makes awesome slushies and milkshakes so Im better off.

• Katrina, Atlanta Alternative Spirituality Examiner 4 years ago

Oh wow! Thank you for writing this article. I haven't seen anything locally informing us here of this recall. Gotta go check my pantry...

• DrStarbuck 4 years ago

Wow.. I hadn't even heard this on the news. Thanks for getting the info out there!

• Winona Cooking Examiner 4 years ago

Thank you for a great alert on a very commonly used product. In our area there were no news articles on this recall. Great article and information to pass on to all who purchase this product.

• Roberta Baxter Eugene, OR. Dogs Examiner 4 years ago

Tx for the education on this product. Even though I don't use it, I can pass this on to others. Well composed!

Life

• Tom Petty
    Seven overlooked videos that prove the genius of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    Today's Buzz
  • Gaylord Pickens
    Discover Gaylord-Pickens Oklahoma Heritage Museum dollar days
    Camera
    6 Photos
  • Yoga poses
    Learn how to strengthen your core muscles with these yoga poses
    Camera
    5 Photos
  • Baby boomer STD rates
    Sexually transmitted diseases: Baby boomers booming STD rates
    Camera
    7 Photos
  • Open relationships
    Are you thinking about exercising your option to be in an open relationship?
    Camera
    5 Photos
  • Medical symptoms
    See which symptoms should cause you to seek a doctor’s attention right away
    Camera