Skip to main content

Consider organic lawn care for your family yard

GL_L.JPG

Many moms today are choosing non-toxic household cleaning products and shopping organic to ensure the health and well-being of their families. However, on e area of the household is often overlooked: the lawn, where kids and family pets spend many summer hours getting their hands and paws dirty. That is why it is important to get educated about natural lawn care alternatives, and consider natural lawn care as a solution for your family.

Drew Hojnacki, the founder of Denver's Green Works Lawn and Leaf offers the following eco-friendly lawn care tips:

Reel Mowing – Reel Mowers produce very little noise and no emissions while providing a better cut by doing less damage to the grass. There are no gas tanks, and hence no spilled or leaking gas, for baby to get into or smell. Keep in mind, a traditional gas mower can emit 10-12 times the amount of hydrocarbon per hour of use when compared to an average car.

Organic Fertilizer – To be labeled “Organic”, the product must undergo strict testing for purity. With synthetic fertilizers, only the active ingredients have to be listed on the label, and these ingredients may only make up 30% of what is in the bag. For the rest of the 70%, no regulation exists. Independent tests on 29 different fertilizers have yielded some startling results. Of the fertilizers tested, including major and popular brands, toxic heavy metals were discovered. These included lead, mercury, arsenic, and cadmium. In certain contexts, these heavy metals have been linked to neurological disease and miscarriages.

No Pesticides – Lawn pesticides are already banned in many Canadian towns and cities due to their long term effects on the environment. After the use of a pesticide, a sign is posted that no one can enter this area for 24 hours. This is only the tip of the iceberg. Those chemicals remain chemically active for an average of 6 months and continue to remain in the soil many years after their introduction. Some of the most common pesticides in use today are linked with cancer, birth defects, reproductive effects, liver or kidney damage, neurotoxicity, and hormonal effects. Even acute exposure can have negative effects including swelling of the eyes, nausea, vomiting, skin irritation, and respiratory distress.

Hire a professional – Give yourself the gift of one less thing to worry about. Enjoy a beautiful and safe yard by making sure your lawn care professional adheres to all the practices above.

For more information visit www.greenworkslawnandleaf.com or call Drew Hojnacki at (303) 725-5766.

Comments