"Concho was formed as a Mexican community in the late 1860s. A group of Mormons led by William J. Flake arrived in 1879 after Flake and Bateman H. Wilhelm purchased some of the land from José Francisco Chaves under the direction of Mormon leader Erastus Snow. The Mormon community adopted the name Erastus in honor of Snow, but changed the name to Concho to match the continuing Mexican community in 1890.
Its name is possibly derived from the Spanish word concha (meaning shell), perhaps due to the shells found along the Concho Creek. "The town was once the major population and financial center of the northeast quarter of what is now Arizona. It continued as a thriving small town for many years." Nevertheless, circumstances such as WWII caused residents to leave the area and, in time, Concho dwindled down to a small community.
The village of Concho sometimes referred to, as "Old Concho" is rich in tradition and folklore. Each year the villagers enjoy coming together for the San Rafael Fiestas, when residents and relatives from afar gather for joyful celebration and reminiscing.
The newer portion of Concho is the highland country referred to as "Concho Valley" established in 1971. Growth in this development primarily took place as a result of the construction of the Coronado Generating Station located west of St. Johns. A main attraction is the local country club and golf course, along with Concho Lake, which primarily serves as an irrigation reservoir for "Old Concho," but is enjoyed for fishing, boating and recreation the rest of the year. Both the old and new portions of Concho enjoy the peacefulness of a quiet country atmosphere, with clear skies and a sense of community."