Behavioral interviewing is all the rage. Companies like Chrysler Financial, formerly in Troy, use teams to interview candidates using this style. A brain-child of the 1990s, it did not catch on until the last half decade, but today its propensity to reveal the true ability of a candidate has developed a network of believers.
Competency-Based Interviews: Master the Tough New Interview Style and Give Them the Answers That Will Win You the Job is a powerful explanation of an interview style that digs deep into the capabilities of a candidate. The author feels "people interviewing for jobs today often fail because they are using yesterday's strategies. They haven’t realized that the best employers have changed the way interviews are done, and it now takes a different strategy to succeed."
One caution - this book is written from the candidate's perspective so you need to concentrate of the principles it discusses to learn how to make it work for you.
Other articles and white papers of interest:
- Additional job search tips– home page for several articles
- Grow your resume– educational, certification, and other ways to enhance your resume
- Job search myths– a series separating myths from reality for job seekers.
- Management styles- three types.
- Corporate structures- from entrepreneur to conglomerate.
Top advice during your job search
- How to Find a Job: When There Are No Jobs: a necessary job search book and career planning guide for surviving and prospering in today's hyper competitive job market.
- 301 Smart Answers to Tough Interview Questions.
- Your Social Media Job Search: Use LinkedIn, Twitter, and other tools to get the job you want!