There is still time to “Get your team together to compete in a relay race like no other.” The organizers at the U. S. National Whitewater Center (USNWC) in Charlotte, North Carolina christened this unique event the “Quadzilla Relay Race” because it features three legs of Stand-Up Paddle Boarding, Mountain Biking and Whitewater Kayaking, followed by a team raft race to the finish.
The competition begins at 4:00 pm, on Sunday, August 31, 2014. Check-in and race day registration is from 3:00 pm to 3:45 pm at the USNWC Kayak Center, followed by a Mandatory Pre-Race meeting at the same location. The Quadzilla Relay Race begins at Flatwater Dock
Pre-registration through August 28 costs $25 for Individuals and $40 for each Team. Participants must be ten-years-old.
The U. S. National Whitewater Center (USNWC) announced, “This race is part of the 2014 Coca-Cola GET ACTIVE CHALLENGE” This is a joint effort on behalf of the (USNWC) and Coca Cola “To encourage active, healthy living by supporting physical activity and nutrition education programs.
As part of its corporate responsibility, Coca Cola maintains, “Through continued partnering with national and local organizations, we will continue to grow our active lifestyle programs to get young people, families and their communities involved. We have at least one physical activity program in every country where we operate.”
In addition, according to Coca Cola’s Corporate Global Challenge, “We continue to invest to develop a range of grassroots sports programs. These include: Special Olympics, Olympic Moves and Bloso and Adeps in Belgium, Olympic Moves and JOGG in the Netherlands, StreetGames in Great Britain, Le Sport Ca Me Dit in France, The Swimming Federation in Sweden, and Cityride in Norway.”
Finally, the U. S. National Whitewater Center wants the public, participants in the Quadzilla Relay Race and spectators, to be aware of the following:
- All participants must sign the USNWC waiver before participating
- Participants must be present to accept awards. Awards will not be mailed
- Race bib must be visible and worn on the front of shirt to receive an accurate time
- There are no water stops on the course
- Locker rooms are located at the main USNWC River Center
- Registration is non-refundable and non-transferable
- There will be no gear/bag check at the start/finish for this race
- Event will proceed rain or shine unless conditions are deemed unsafe by the Race Director
- All guests are required to pay a $5 parking fee at the USNWC unless guest has an annual parking pass. Annual parking passes are available through the USNWC for $40
- Headphones, iPods, MP3 players, etc. are discouraged for the safety of all participants
- Remain attentive and courteous at all times; trails will be open to other runners, hikers and bikers
- No pets allowed on the course
- The USNWC does not conduct trail rescues in the event of an emergency. Participants are encouraged to call 911 THEN notify event staff if an emergency is encountered