Any person choosing to commute to work will eventually find himself or herself in an interstate parking lot. The interstate parking lot consists of those people that had the ill fortune to be a few miles behind whatever caused the interstate parking lot.
In many cases, this parking lot also consists of individuals who had the poor sense to get on the interstate without checking the traffic report or their interactive GPS. It could also consist of individuals who chose to ignore the long line of traffic they saw as they crossed over the interstate as they drove toward the on ramp.
You have many options available on a lousy interstate parking lot day to stay sane and be productive while you wait. Five options include the following:
1. Pull out the smart device and start reviewing email. Get a jumpstart on those early morning emails by reviewing them during a traffic jam.
2. Make necessary work related phone calls. These can go hand in hand with the email review, but making any necessary calls that you need to make once you get into the office will help keep you from burning the midnight oil.
3. Catch up on reading material. Did you bring any reading material home from work to review at home that you may not have finished? If your briefcase or laptop bag is in the trunk of your car, you may choose to (safely) get out of your car and pull it out, but only if it looks like traffic will take a while.
4. Turn up the music. If you are one of the lucky people that are able to keep work at work and do not have access to email or any work related items, turn up the radio and jam out. You may draw some strange looks, but hey, at least you get to have fun in this mess, right?
5. Talk to the other people stuck in traffic with you. Yes, the person next to you is a stranger and your parents told you not to talk to strangers; however, you may be able to find out what happened ahead from others who may have techie gadgets giving a live feed of the end of the world traffic accident ahead.
Any of these ideas will help you to stay sane on the interstate parking lot. Just remember, you are not the only person stuck in traffic. It will not help you get through traffic by yelling at others or letting traffic cause your blood pressure to get the best of you. Happy Commuting!