Many more people have pets today than ever before. The first reason is they love animals. Another reason is having a companion to love that also provides unconditional love in return. But one of the biggest reasons lately that families take in a pet is because there are so many in shelters across the country. So many animals are being mistreated by means that the word cruel seems insufficient. All of these reasons are wonderful for wanting to keep a pet in your home.
Once you have that pet home with you there are some things that a pet owner should know. There are certain ingredients that humans drink and eat that are dangerous when consumed by your pets. These are items that should never be fed to your cat, dog and even birds.
All breeds of dogs should be watched more carefully than other pets. Dogs don’t know when to stop eating. The will eat and eat until the bowl is emptied. Unlike cats or birds who eat during the course of the day with their natural instinct to portion their food out over time and not gorge themselves at one sitting.
Chocolate is at the top of the list. The reason for this is that chocolate stimulates the heart and the nervous system. Chocolate shouldn’t be given to any pet regardless of what type you have home with you. This treat that has turned many into chocolate lovers has an entirely different affect on your pet. It is actually a poison to them. Some symptoms chocolate can cause in your pet are an increased or irregular heartbeat, tremors, seizures, agitation, and an increase in thirst, higher body temperatures, restlessness and vomiting.
We flavor our meals with onions and garlic. These two flavor enhancers can damage the kidneys in cats and dogs. They can make your pet lethargic, vomit, increase their thirst and increase their need to urinate.
Avocados are a nutritious fruit unless fed to animals. Birds are one species that are extremely sensitive to this fruit. Avocados can damage their heart muscles because of the persin contained in the fruit. Animals can become lethargic, have difficulty in breathing, and have bouts of diarrhea and vomiting.
Alcoholic drinks, raw yeast and breads are also dangerous. These ingredients can affect the pet’s nervous system and digestive track. Alcohol and the fermentation of yeast causes alcohol poisoning when ingested. Some symptoms that can occur are vomiting, lethargy, weakness, diarrhea, and lack of coordination, an increase in body temperature, difficulty breathing, seizures, tremors and coma.
Anyone with a pet needs to watch what they feed their furry or feathered family members. What is healthy, tasty and good for humans is not always the case when your pet eats those same things.
If you pet does consume any of these ingredients that are dangerous to their health contact their veterinarian right away. If you have to leave a message do so. While waiting for the doctor to return your call you can always call the APSPC (Animal Poison Control Center) at 1-888-426-4435 to see how you can help your pet while waiting for the veterinarian to call back. There is always someone available to take your call and provide you with the necessary information to help your pet.
That rely on you their owner to do and know what is right for them to eat!
© 2013 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
More reading topics from this author:
Find more recipes and cooking tips with easy step-by-step instructions visit me at Jackson Cooking Examiner. For fun, crafty, holiday, events, tips and tricks and education stories to enjoy join me at Home and Living Examiner. Interested in health issues, recalls, medical conditions and tips and tricks for a healthier lifestyle follow me to Healthy Living Examiner. Looking for celebrity news, scoops, pop culture, events, attractions and entertainment stories follow the Jackson Celebrity Examiner.