One-pot meals are great when you know you are going to have a busy day. A little preparation goes a long way and when the pot finally finishes cooking you will have a whole meal ready for dinner your family will love. Some of the ingredients do need to be added at different times but that is why you use the aid of a kitchen times to page you back into the kitchen for the next addition. Stew is a balanced meal filled with meat and all sorts of vegetables that are comforting, healthy and home cooked.
- Vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons of salt
- 1teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of flour
- 1 pound of cubed beef
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 4 medium carrots, diced or sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, diced into chunks
- 1 can of peas
- 1 can of string beans
- In a large stew pot or spaghetti pot heat up the vegetable oil.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper and flour together.
- Add in the meat and mix until all the beef is coated with the flour.
- Save any excess flour in the bowl for later.
- Brown the meat on all sides for approximately 20 minutes.
- Slowly add hot water, 2 teaspoons of salt and excess flour saved and stir well.
- Slice or dice up the vegetables: onion, carrots and potatoes.
- Add the onion to the stew pot, stir and cover pot.
- Let it simmer for 2 hours.
- Now add the sliced carrots and potatoes to the pot and cook for an additional 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add in the drained cans of peas and string beans to the stew.
- Allow the last of the vegetables to cook for 5 minutes then turn the heat off the pot.
- Ladle the stew into serving bowls and you are ready for a warm meal.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved