Where else can you see vault locks, door locks, padlocks, handcuffs, a cannon ball safe, and early time locks? Lock Museum of America houses more than 23,000 types of locks. Three locks made in 1833 by Stephen Bucknall are in the collection.
Individual rooms are dedicated to locks and keys manufactured by all the lock companies in the US. The Antique Lock Room has a sizeable collection of colonial locks and Ornate European Locks as old as the 1500’s.
An Eagle Lock room has over 1,000 locks and keys made from 1854 to 1954. The Bank Lock Room contains a number of bank locks, vault locks, safe locks and time locks.
The Yale Room displays locks manufactured by their company from 1860 to 1950. It has a lock that was considered the greatest invention in the history of lockmaking. It is the original Patent model of the Mortise Cylinder Pin Tumbler Lock designed by Linus Yale Jr. in 1865. In ways it is comparable to the 4,000-year-old Egyptian made pin tumbler lock on display.
The Corbin-Russwin Room contains a large collection of ornate hardware. One of the animated displays shows how a pin tumbler locks functions. There is a collection of mounted doorknobs and escutcheons made during the Victorian era. They were made and by Russwin and P & F Corbin in a variety of styles like Roman, Greek, French and Italian Renaissance, Gothic, Flemish, and Elizabethan English. Some are gold plated or enameled.
The Lock Museum of America is located 0.6 miles west of route 72, on route 60 at 230 Main Street Terryville CT. The museum is across from the original site of the Eagle Lock Company founded in 1854 that in 1975 went bankrupt.
May 1 to October 31
Tuesday – Saturday 1:30 PM – 4:30 PM
Children 4-12 free
Terryville Connecticut is a village of 5,387 population it is 20 miles south west of Hartford, 46 miles southwest of Springfield, MA, 120 miles southwest of Boston. It was named for Eli Terry Jr., son of well-known clockmaker Eli Terry Sr.
Two miles south east of the museum is the Terryville Tunnel known as Pequabuck Tunnel. A railroad wonder in its day, construction began in 1906 with completion in 1911. Seven hundred men tunneled through 3,500 feet of rock to complete the 32 feet wide, 26 feet tall, 3,850 feet long tunnel. Surprisingly it remains in service for freight hauling.
Lock Museum of America is a 5 hour drive of 323 miles from Rochester NY. Drive I-90 Thruway east passing Albany into Massachusetts shortly exiting at the Lee exit to route 8. Drive route 8 south Into Connecticut exiting to route 6 prior to Waterbury. Drive east on route 6 is Terryville before Bristol. Follow signs to museum.
The lock has played an indispensible role in our lives that take for granted. Take a fascinating look and see how it has developed over the centuries.