Bruce Combs of Bradenton continues to set the pace in the 60-64 age category in handicap all-events after the third of five weekends in the 45th annual Florida State Senior Handicap Championship Tournament in Spring Hill, according to current, unofficial standings released Wednesday.
Combs tops his age-group all-events leaderboard with a six-game score of 1,486, and he also holds down the No. 8 position in 60-64 singles with a score of 736.
The only other entry representing the Sarasota-Manatee County USBC Bowling Association to lead in any of the events is Mike Sherman Pest Control in the four-player team event. Consisting of Ron Smith, Clyde McCleary, Mike Sherman and Manuel Garcia, the team's leading score is 2,857.
Bill Bickley of Sarasota has moved into the Top 10 in three events. He is fourth in nine-game handicap all-events with a score of 2,233, and he is sixth in 65-69 singles (744) and tenth in 65-69 all-events (1,413).
Mike Hudson of Sarasota fell just one pin shy of the top position in 60-64 singles with a score of 762, just behind leader James Peppers of Orlando, and he is also eighth in 60-64 all-events with 1,441.
In addition to being a member of the first-place team, Smith remains in the Top 10 in three other events: fifth in doubles, with partner Clyde McCleary (1,437), fourth in 65-69 all-events (1,441) and eighth in 65-69 singles (734).
Other area players among the top five in respective events are: Southern Edge Pro Shop II of Venice (3rd team, 2,749); Suzy Jennings of Osprey (tied for third in 50-54 singles, 744); Kevin Reichenbach of Sarasota (third in 50-54 all-events (1,426); Sandy Combs of Bradenton (fourth in 50-54 all-events, 1,415);and Rick Wight of Sarasota (fourth in 55-59 all-events, 1,493.
The following summary includes the tournament leader in each event, plus the names of all Sarasota-Manatee entrants currently among the Top 10:
- TEAM EVENT: 1, Mike Sherman Pest Control (Bradenton) 2,857; 3, Southern Edge Pro Shop 11 (Venice) 2,749.
- DOUBLES: 1, Dudley Holmes and Gilbert Hess (Jacksonville) 1,489; 5, Clyde McCleary and Ron Smith (Bradenton) 1,437.
- SINGLES 70-PLUS: 1, James Thomas Sr. (Fort Lauderdale) 783.
- SINGLES 65-69: 1, Robert Presnell (Brooksville) 785; 6, Bill Bickley (Sarasota 744; 8, Ron Smith (Bradenton) 734.
- SINGLES 60-64: 1, James Peppers (Orlando) 763; 2, Mike Hudson (Sarasota) 762; 8, Bruce Combs (Bradenton) 736.
- SINGLES 55-59: 1, Pam Moore (North Fort Myers) 798; 5, Richard Wight (Sarasota) 743.
- SINGLES 50-54: 1, Mike Owen (Gainesville) 788; tie 3, Suzy Jennings (Osprey) 744.
- ALL-EVENTS 70-PLUS: 1, John Atwood (Jacksonville) 1,485; 8, Mike Romig (Osprey) 1,388.
- ALL-EVENTS 65-69: 1, David Evans (Mulberry) 1,473; 4, Ron Smith (Bradenton) 1,441; 10, Bill Bickley (Sarasota) 1,413.
- ALL-EVENTS 60-64: 1, Bruce Combs (Bradenton) 1,486); 8, Mike Hudson (Sarasota) 1,441.
- ALL-EVENTS 55-59: 1, Custer Redman (The Villages) 1,523; 4, Richard Wight (Sarasota) 1.493.
- ALL-EVENTS 50-54: 1, Robert Fudo (Starke) 1,439; 3, Kevin Reichenbach (Sarasota) 1,426; 4, Sandy Combs (Bradenton) 1,415.
- 9-GAME ALL-EVENTS SCRATCH: 1, James Emanuelson (Tallahassee) 2,231.
- 9-GAME ALL-EVENTS HANDICAP: 1, Allen Greene (Dunnellon) 2,287; 4, Bill Bickley (Sarasota) 2,233.
For a link to complete, up-to-date tournament standings, click here.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's Examiner.com bowling columns -- free of charge -- by clicking on "subscribe" near the top of the article, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published].