In the Nutrisystem weight loss diet plan, provided entrees are supplemented with proteins, fruits, and vegetables. One of the benefits of Nutrisystem is that the entrees are a set cost each month, which can help in managing the food budget. You can further anticipate these costs by doing your add-on shopping at Aldi, because Aldi's prices remain mostly set from week-to-week, with the occasional overstock or market-driven markdown, or slight price increase.
A few recommendations for strategic Nutrisystem shopping at Aldi (prices vary slightly depending on Cincinnati-area store location):
FRUITS & VEGETABLES
- Baby carrots (1 lb. bag), about 99 cents.
- Butter beans or black beans (15.5 oz. can) are about 69 cents and are a low-fat, high fiber source of protein, as well.
- Bagged citrus such as oranges and grapefruit that were harvested prior to the recent low temperatures in the Southeast are an especially good deal right now at around $2.99/5 lb. bag.
- Bagged baby spinach, about $1.59/bag (approx. 4 cups) and romaine hearts (about $1.99/bag of three hearts) are both low-cost salad canvases.
- Aldi typically has packaged tomatoes, broccoli, and peppers at competitive prices.
- Extra-lean ham, about $2.64/lb. Slice it yourself into thick cubes for omelets, or thin sandwich slices.
- Fresh large eggs, about 79 cents/dozen. Keep a hard-boiled carton of eggs on hand for an easy grab-and-go or lunchbox protein on its own or crumbled into salads.
- Frozen turkey meatballs, about $1.99/lb. package (approx. 32 meatballs)
- Ground turkey, about $2.49/19-oz. package
- Boned and skinned flash-frozen chicken breasts, about $6.99/48 oz. package
- Plain or vanilla non-fat yogurt, about $1.59/32 oz. tub. Avoid the individual-serving, flavored yogurts - the flavors (although they may seem fruity and healthy) are typically clothed in more sugar than they're worth. Add fresh fruit or sugar-free preserves to the plain or vanilla yogurt. Plain yogurt multi-tasks as sour cream and a fat substitute in backed goods.
If you're on a Nutrisystem "weekends-off" program, try Aldi's Lite & Active Stuffed Sandwiches (about $1.79/box of two individually-wrapped sandwiches). These pastry pocket sandwiches are available in Pepperoni Pizza, Turkey and Broccoli, or Southwest Veggie combinations.