Don't let the Winter Blues overwhelm you this winter. Grab a few props, put on your can-do attitude, and have FUN!
Here are a few indoor activities that you can do with your kids to help beat the blues:
1. Cardboard-box basket ball - Grab a few boxes (if you don't have any, go to Walmart and ask them if they have any extra boxes they would be willing to give you. You can also check for free boxes on Craigslist). Once you have boxes, set them on the floor with the open-end of the box facing up; then aim and shoot. You can use crumpled paper for the balls, real balls, or beanbags. Team-up or play singles. This is a game the whole family can play.
2. Wading Tub - Put the kids in their swimsuits, grab some beach toys, and let them splash around in a soap-free tub (NEVER leave them unattended). Use this time to try and recreate the atmosphere of summer, filled with beach balls and laughter.
3. Family Band - Grab a spoon (for vocals), some pans (for drums), a broom (for guitar), and an unopened box of spaghetti (for maracas). Once everyone has their instrument, explain to each member of the band that they each get to play a solo. Allow them to be creative with their instruments and vocals.
4. Puzzled to Pieces - Cut out a picture from an old magazine (letting each child choose their own picture), then glue the picture to a piece of cardboard (cereal boxes work great). After the glue has dried, cut the cardboard into pieces and let each child piece their puzzle back together.
5. Telling Stories- Use this time to let your child tell you a story. Encourage them to tell you a story about their hopes, dreams, fears, and wishes. You will be amazed at how honest your child(ren) will be. Give them the opportunity to tell you what they're thinking and then create a story using those things.