Don’t you love those colossal blueberry muffins you see on the bakery self? They look so good and you can almost taste the fresh blueberries; unfortunately the price tag is usually the deal breaker considering you could buy a whole fast food meal cheaper that one of those delectable muffins.
You don’t have to pay those steep prices anymore, because we have a recipe that will beat that bakery colossal muffin every time. The only catch is that you have to use fresh blueberries; as frozen will not work for this blueberry muffin recipe. Other than that, you probably already have the rest of the ingredients already on hand to make these crumb topped blueberry muffins.
Colossal blueberry muffin recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
- To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.
- Frozen berries do not turn out the same, stick with fresh
- You can switch out the sugar for brown sugar, if you prefer
- Make sure you butter is room temperature- it makes it a lot easier to put on top
- If you use giant tins, as recommended, double the recipe as it will only make 5-6.
- If you really like the crumble topping, try this: 2/3C brown sugar, 1/4C flour, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 2T butter. Use fork to mix and has nice coarse texture. Just as crunchy & delicious w/the perfect muffin EXCEPT it doesn't cause the muffins to sink.
Blueberry muffins are great for breakfast, brunch or even as a dessert. Your family will love you when you put a basket of these colossal muffins on the table.