Easter is a colorful time of year. Flowers blooming across the country side, leaves unfolding bright green on the trees, and blossoming trees giving birth to thousands of tiny flowers. This year why not try a colorful twist on an old classic: red velvet cheeseball.
This is a quick simple recipe using a pre-made box of red velvet cake to add flavor and color to this dessert cheeseball. Serve with animal crackers, graham cracker pretzels, or fresh fruit to make your dinner pop.
Recipe: Wit and Whistle
· 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
· 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
· 1 1/2 cups red velvet cake mix, dry
· 2 tablespoons brown sugar
· 1/2 cup powdered sugar
· 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. (I used my hand mixer and it worked fine.)
2. Add in the red velvet cake mix, the brown sugar and the powdered sugar.
3. Beat until smooth and combined. Turn the mixture out onto a piece of plastic wrap.
4. Wrap up into a ball and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
5. Put the chocolate chips on a plate or in a shallow dish. Remove the cheese ball from the refrigerator and unwrap. Roll in the chocolate chips. (This might get messy!)
6. Place on a serving plate and serve with cookies or graham crackers.