Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Colorado standoff: 13 y/o boy saved, police kill abductor as negotiations fail

Yellow police tape covering the scene of a crime
Yellow police tape covering the scene of a crime
Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

A Colorado standoff has drawn to an end this week, with a 13-year-old boy being saved from the frightening situation and the abductor being shot and killed by Arvada police. Although the officers were said to have tried negotiating with the unidentified suspect, these negotiations ultimately failed, and the man was gunned down in order to ensure the safety of the child. The Boston Herald confirms this Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2014, that the 13-year-old boy was being held hostage for almost 18 hours before his dramatic rescue, though he was fortunately found alive and unharmed.

The Colorado standoff involved both Arvada police officers and specialized SWAT teams cornering an abductor who kidnapped the young boy on Monday. It appears that the suspect — who is a male but remains unidentified at this time — was shot and killed while going to the front door to collect several unknown items provided by police negotiators. Immediately after he was gunned down, SWAT authorities entered the building and saved the 13 y/o boy.

According to a local police chief, the harrowing standoff occurred in a residential neighborhood not far from Denver. Police had been called in to help settle a domestic dispute call between a woman and a man on Monday evening. Upon officers’ arrival, the man was said to have fled from the house and broken into a neighboring home. Once there, he found the 13 y/o boy and took him as hostage while determining what to do next.

“Police negotiated with the suspect, and aware that he was watching media reports, released few details during the standoff, other than to say the hostage and suspect didn't know each other. The suspect also called some media outlets with what police described as misinformation.”

At this time, it is believed that the abductor involved in the Colorado standoff and shot and killed following the precarious incident may have been an “absconded parolee.” SWAT teams are still said to be cooperating with police officials into decoding just what happened and to identify the suspect.

Photos taken after the failed negotiations reveal a SWAT member running out of the home carrying the boy out into safety.

Report this ad