David DelliQuadri knew something was wrong with his daughter’s dog, Hailey, after taking the border collie mix for a walk in downtown Steamboat Springs on Monday. According to an article in Steamboat Today dated December 5, Hailey ate something during the walk that likely contained tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, a psychoactive agent of the cannabis plant. “She started not moving the right way,” said David’s daughter, Winnie DelliQuadri. “She ran into the bushes and wouldn’t come out.”
While in the park during her walk, Hailey ingested something unknown. Later that day she stopped eating and drinking, and just sat in the garage staring at the wall. A test the next day revealed a “vague positive” for THC. The test, along with her symptoms, led to the diagnosis that Hailey had likely consumed something laced with marijuana.
Dr. Paige Lorimer, who treated Hailey at Pet Kare Clinic in Steamboat Springs, said that dogs who exhibit marijuana toxicosis are not rare. “We see at least three each month. It’s more common now that it’s legal.”
DelliQuadri’s dog continues to recover, but the process has been slow. “I’m hoping that she fully recovers and gets back to being herself,” says DelliQuadri, “but it’s been a while.” With the popularity of sugary and buttery marijuana edibles posing a higher risk of dogs ingesting the drug in public places, DelliQuadri cautions, “Keep it in your house. Don’t be dropping it in a park.”