You're up one. You have successfully completed your first year in college. Take a second to really appreciate that accomplishment. Okay, your moment is up. You are officially a sophomore in college, which means that you have the daunting task of trying to stay relevant. You are no longer inexperienced enough that others feel the need to take you under their wing and you are also not old enough to warrant the attention of many upperclassmen and woman. No worries, you can use this to your advantage by focusing on building a strong relationship with your professors and or through becoming active within an on-campus club or organization. Below are some more helpful hints and other related advice that will help you through your sophomore year:
1. Build your Academic Capital- Hopefully, as a freshman you decided to show up to your classes, if not this is something you will need to really work overtime to repair. What you need to do (or continue doing) is to improve your class attendance, seek to make meaningful contributions during your classes, and take your professors up on their invitations and go and visit them during their office hours.
2. Establish a campus/community presence- In order to be successful in college you must put down some roots, or you will no doubt be washed away. You can overcome this by doing a little research in which you seek out clubs (both on-campus and off-campus) that engage in activities or advocate for issues that you are passionate about and join them.
3. Lay the foundation for your future career- Your sophomore year is a great time to start seeking internships. To accomplish this you may want to visit your campus career resource center, and don't hesitate to contact an organization that you are interested in. Be Bold, Be Professional, and Be Consistent.
Below is a playlist that will help you adjust to your second year of college:
1. Big Sean- “Fire”
2. J. Cole- “Who Dat”
3. Chris Brown ft. Nicki Minaj- “Love More”
4. Kanye West- “School Spirit”
5. Meek Mill- “House Party”
6. Kanye West ft. Young Jeezy- “Can’t Tell Me Nothing”
Share your thoughts about this article:
Do you feel this article was helpful?
Do you have some helpful advice that your wish to contribute to this article?
What are your thoughts on the Hip-Hop Playlist?