Congratulations recent high school graduates!!! You successfully navigated your way through those dreadful high school lunchrooms and you managed to survive all the drama and other antics that are characteristic of being in high school. Now the real work starts for you, because you are officially in college. This year some things you should be mindful of are:
1. Keep an Open-mind- As a freshman it will serve you well to understand that you do not know everything. The college experience is just beginning for you, be open to trying new things: like trying out for a sports team, explore the possibility of joining an on-campus club, fraternity/sorority, or other organization.
2. Establish some boundaries- You are now a young adult, which means that you will have new expectations placed upon you. In order to successfully navigate your way through college you will need to define who you wish to be, decide what you will put up with and what you will not tolerate. Once you have established your personal boundaries stick to them and seek out others who are committed to the same things.
3. Show Up- in order to be successful in college you must show up to class. This means you need to be seated prior to the start of class, you must have your assignments completed, and most importantly be ready to contribute.
3. Have Fun and Build new Relationships- The college experience is a marathon, NOT a sprint. You will have more than enough time to have fun. The key to college is finding a good balance between having a social presence and maintaining an academic presence.
In the wise words of Hip-Hop Artist Nicki Minaj: "This ain't High School."
Below is a playlist that will help you as you adjust to College Life:
1. French Montana- “Ain’t Worrying Nothing”
2. Astro- “Don’t Test Me”
3. Macklemore- “Can’t Hold Us”
4. Omarion ft. Wale- “M.I.A”
5. Wale ft. Miguel “Lotus Flower”
6. August Alsina ft. Currency “Let Me Hit That”
7. Kanye West- “Late”
Share your thoughts about this article:
Do you feel this article was helpful?
Do you have some helpful advice that your wish to contribute to this article?
What are your thoughts on the Hip-Hop Playlist?