It was an amazing week in college football to say the least. The SEC got flipped upside down after the power teams got dismantled. Wednesday’s power will reflect a lot of changes from last week’s ranking. We also found a major player for the national title game and they hail from Tallahassee Florida. Even the BCS has Florida State at number two.
Florida State started the beat down of Clemson from the opening play, and never let up for 60 minutes. It was such a thorough victory, only and upset of monumental proportions could temper the enthusiasm that the Florida State football program has.
We all knew that Texas A&M was skating on thin ice with that lowly defense, but there were expectations that they would improve defensively. Auburn proved that it was not the case. It’s true, Texas A&M does struggle at home in conference.
Missouri also obliterated Florida in what was supposed to be a hotly contested game. They won the game with Maty Mauk starting his first game and he proved to be up to the challenge.
Here are the rankings for this week’s power poll. Let us know what teams belong in and out of the power poll.
2. Alabama: We’ll give them credit for shutting out Arkansas, but the schedule has been more or less moribund lately. Their best win might be over Virginia Tech, and they have no offense.
3. Oregon: They score so much and play so many players, it’s hard to get a great read on how dominant they are. Let’s hope that the Ducks have enough stamina for four quarters of football. Next game vs. UCLA.
4. Ohio State: How much do we hate a winner? We disregard what Ohio State does on a weekly basis. Yet, after all those top ten teams lost, It’s time to praise the Buckeyes for winning. Next game vs. Penn State
5. Baylor: Good luck trying to slow this team down. Basically, they had a disappointing outcome against Kansas State. The Bears only scored 35 points in a 10 point victory. So they took their frustration out on Iowa State by scoring 71. Next game vs. Kansas.
6. Missouri: They are not a newcomer by any stretch, but they are making their mark in the SEC. They are also receiving the benefits of playing in the SEC. Looks like the SEC East title is on the line Saturday. Next game vs. South Carolina.
7.Miami: All the talk after Thursday’s close win over North Carolina was how the Hurricane’s should drop. That’s why it’s dumb to harshly punish teams for winning. Now that they have dealt with the NCAA sanctions, Miami’s program should be ready to roll. Next game vs. Wake Forest.
8. Texas Tech: Under new coach Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech riding an undefeated season. The schedule gets tougher from here on out, but they might be ready to take that jump. Next game vs. Oklahoma.
9. Stanford: Stanford bounced back from their only loss to take out fellow power poll member, UCLA. This will either be a great week or a lost opportunity for the Cardinal team. They are the highest rated one loss team. Next game vs. Oregon State.
10. UCLA: The Bruins are still good enough to be in the top 10, but they missed out on another opportunity to beat Stanford. It doesn’t get any easier this week. Next game vs. Oregon.
11. Clemson: Welcome to what a blowout does. The Clemson Tigers have a lot to prove after the “shock n awe” throttling by the hands of Florida State. It’s amazing how one loss can cause turmoil in a program. Next game vs. Maryland.