A fearsome foursome of top college wrestling coaches -- and an author who's written about one of the all-time great collegiate coaches in any sport -- will be among the guests on Takedown Wrestling this Saturday, Sept. 7, the weekly radio broadcast announced Wednesday, Sept. 5.
Join Scott Casber, Kurt Backes and Brad Johnson live this Saturday 9-11 a.m. Central and 10 a.m.-noon Eastern.
Special guest co-host will be Nick Ackerman, 2001 NCAA Division III champ for Simpson College of Iowa. Now Director of Prosthetics at American Prosthetics & Orthotics, double-leg amputee Ackerman's 13-11 defeat of Nick Slack, the reigning champ from Augsburg -- and owner of a 60-match win streak -- for the title at the 2001 NCAAs is one of the 25 top defining moments in NCAA history by ESPN and the No. 1 most dramatic NCAA Championship victory by NCAA Champion Magazine. Ackerman also received the National Wrestling Hall of Fame Medal of Courage and the Hodge Trophy.
In the first hour, Takedown Wrestling welcomes Eric Guerrero, Oklahoma State assistant coach. At 9:20, University of North Carolina head coach C.D. Mock takes the mic… followed at 9:35 by Dave Taylor, author of the soon-to-be-released biography "Legends of Michigan: Cliff Keen" on the long-time, legendary Wolverine wrestling coach.
The second hour opens with Jim Heffernan, head coach at the University of Illinois. At 10:15, Dylan Wanagiel, Director of Sports Events for MSG Sports, will be the featured guest. At 10:30, Carl Adams -- NCAA mat champ for Iowa State in the early 1970s, and head coach at Boston University for 32 years -- talks about his program getting the axe. It's likely they'll talk about a new documentary "It Hurts to Win" now in the fundraising stage, that seeks to capture the upcoming last season for BU wrestling... and, hopefully, change some minds in the school administration.
Fans, athletes, coaches: This is your sport. Join in the conversation, ask questions. Call 866-333-5966 or 515-204-5966.
Takedown Wrestling is available on radio on AM 1460 KXNO, on your computer, your Blackberry or I Phone with the I Heart Radio App. KXNO.com, Takedownradio.com, I Heart Radio App
Takedown Wrestling's guest list for Sept. 7:
- 9:05: Eric Guerrero - Assistant Head Coach, Oklahoma State
- 9:20: C.D. Mock - Head Coach, North Carolina
- 9:35: Dave Taylor - "Legends of Michigan: Cliff Keen" tells the story of Clifford P. Keen, assistant Wolverine football coach for 33 years, and head wrestling coach at the school for 45 years
- 9:50: Tyler Barkley - Max Muscle Sports Nutrition Update
- 10:00: Jim Heffernan - Head Coach, University of Illinois
- 10:15: Dylan Wanagiel - Director of Sports Events for MSG Sports
- 10:30: Carl Adams - Head Coach, Boston University
- 10:50: Peggie Johnson - Wildrose Casino and Resort, Clinton, Iowa
Want to know more about...
- ... Dave Taylor's new "Legends of Michigan: Cliff Keen" biography of the Wolverine mat coach? Check out this College Wrestling Examiner article announcing the book's pre-sale.
- ... the Boston University wrestling situation? Read the College Wrestling Examiner story from April 1 announcing the school's decision to eliminate the program after the 2013-14 season... learn about the fundraising efforts for the "It Hurts to Win" documentary seeking to capture the BU Terriers' last season... and visit the "It Hurts to Win" indiegogo website -- complete with info on the movie, a brief video featuring BU wrestling coach Carl Adams, and ways to give to help fund the film. And follow the filmmakers on Twitter.
The season will start soon! Don't miss a thing! Keep up with all the pre-season predictions, coach hirings, firings and retirings, new programs, the IOC and Olympic wrestling, match results, and other developments year round... by clicking the "subscribe" button at the top of the page to make sure you don't miss a single article from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News' Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. It's absolutely FREE!