The college basketball season is in its final week of the regular season. Some of the conference tournaments have already begun. Gonzaga is waiting for their Semifinal opponent in the WCC. Barring an upset, they have secured a number one seed for “March Madness.”
With Indiana’s loss, Georgetown had a chance to take the top spot in the power rankings, but they fell to giant killer, Villanova. Still, it’s hard to take much away from Georgetown after winning 11 straight games.
A couple of newcomers to the power rankings are positioned nicely for a tourney run. New Mexico is finally receiving the accolades that their season deserves. Marquette can’t be denied of the upper echelon status with St Louis losing on the road. Kansas State has quietly earned a high seed for the Big 12 and NCAA tournament.
Here is the March 7th mid week power poll.
1. Gonzaga- Most people knew Gonzaga was really good at the start of the year. It seems that their winning ways have some fans screaming about their number one ranking. Gonzaga is real. They are real big, and they shoot the ball really well. The Bulldogs are a bad pass away from having one loss.
2. Duke-The Blue Devils are undefeated with Ryan Kelly in the lineup. Part of the reason is because Kelly missed almost two months of the season. As of now, Ryan Kelly is better than he’s ever been. The shooting practice has gone a long way, and proves a major basketball point for another time.
3. Louisville-The Cardinals have won nine out of the last 10 games. Their only loss came in a five overtime setback at Notre Dame. They had a nine point lead in the final minute of that game too.
4. Georgetown- It’s hard to penalize a team for losing one game one the road after winning 11 straight. However, a win on Wednesday would have placed the Hoyas at number two. Georgetown is one of three teams vying for the conference title. (Louisville, Marquette)
5. Kansas-The Jayhawks have won seven in a row after their three game stall. A win on Saturday secures at least a tie for the Big 12 title.
6. New Mexico-The Lobos have a better resume than the Gonzaga Bulldogs and just about every team in college basketball. They secured the top seed in the Mountain West, and can still play their way to a number one seed. Most likely, they will end up a number two in the bracket.
7. Indiana-The Hoosiers still have a one game lead over Michigan, and they play for a piece of the title on Sunday. A win and a strong showing in the conference tournament will be the recipe for the number one seed. Indiana has lost two of their last three.
8. Florida-The Gators have had some recent road losses, but they’ve been the best team in the SEC all season. Florida finishes the season at Kentucky. They are still in contention for a number one seed.
9. Michigan-The Wolverines can earn a piece of the title with a home win over Indiana.
10. Ohio State-After Ohio State’s win over Indiana, the Buckeyes are in a position for a piece of the Big Ten title. Ohio State has won four straight.
11. Marquette-The Golden Eagles are in a three way tie for the Big East lead.
12. Kansas State-The Wildcats are in a tie for the Big 12 lead with Kansas. A win clinches at least a tie for the conference title. Kansas State has won 10 of their last 11. They finish their season at Oklahoma State.