An unlucky bird lover will have to wait up to 8 years for her pet cockerel to die before she can retrieve a diamond earring it accidentally swallowed.
Claire Lennon, from Berkshire, UK, watched in horror as her pet cockerel Sarah pecked out her diamond earring and gobbled it down while perched on her shoulder.
According to vets, the earring is trapped in Sarah's stomach, and removing it could potentially kill the mischievous bird.
Claire, 38, who received the pair of $450 earrings from her partner, Adam, is reluctant to go ahead with the operation because losing Sarah would devastate her six-year-old daughter, Mia.
'It’s a shame I have lost the earring because it was one of a matching pair that Adam bought for me so they’re really sentimental and mean a lot,' she told the Daily Mail.
'But we can’t risk anything that might mean we lose Sarah.'
Despite his effeminate name, Sarah is in fact a cockerel.
He’s called Sarah because when we got him as a chick, we thought he was a she,' said Claire.
'When he got older and we realized it was a cockerel, we decided to stick with the name.'
Claire, who lives near Newbury, remains optimistic that although the white gold setting will disintegrate, the diamond will eventually be retrieved.
'At least we know where the earring is - and one day I will get it back, even if it means waiting for a few years!' she joked.