Update on Coca-Cola addiction death: Tuesday, a coroner ruled that a 30-year-old woman, who was highly-addicted to the popular soda aka Coke, died from a heart attack. The New Zealand woman, who died three years ago, drank over two gallons daily for years. The report suggests she died prematurely from her indulgence. However, the beverage company disagrees.
Coroner David Crerar wrote this in his report:
"I find that, when all of the available evidence is considered, were it not for the consumption of very large quantities of Coke by Natasha Harris, it is unlikely that she would have died when she died and how she died."
Family members said Natasha, a mother of eight, was so hooked on the soda that she drank the soda throughout the day.
Just months before she died, her health took a decline. She became irritable, had the shakes and was vomiting in the morning.
However, Coca-Cola officials are not convinced. Despite Harris' consumption of excess amounts of the soda, twice the recommended amount of caffeine and 11 times the daily intake of sugar, the company say there's no link in her death.
Here's the company's response to the coroner's findings in the Coca-Cola addiction death investigation:
"The Coroner acknowledged that he could not be certain what caused Ms Harris' heart attack. Therefore we are disappointed that the Coroner has chosen to focus on the combination of Ms Harris' excessive consumption of Coca-Cola, together with other health and lifestyle factors, as the probable cause of her death. This is contrary to the evidence that showed the experts could not agree on the most likely cause."
To the company's point, the coroner never said Coke is responsible for the woman's death and addiction. However, Crerar took the step in saying he suggests warning labels be used.
There are two schools of thought at work here. First, labels partially remove the burden of liability and give consumers a choice.
However, on the other hand, many believe, just like with cigarettes, that if lawmakers have not out-right made it illegal to produce the beverage, the health risks of consumption must be low. Imagine that.
Was the Coca-Cola addiction death the woman's fault or the company that produced the beverage?