Skip to main content

See also:

CNN: Abducted journalist worked for television station

A journalist that works for CNN has now been abducted in the Ukraine. On Thursday, CNN actually shared the news about what happened. A group of self-declared Donetsk People's Republic seized Anton Skiba outside of his hotel. CNN is speaking out and publicly asking them to release him but so far they haven't had any luck.

He worked as freelance but he was working for CNN. On Wednesday, he called CNN and told them that he was being questioned at the headquarters of the Donetsk security services. He went on to say that he wouldn't be available. So far they do not know if he was forced to make this call or not.

Anton Skiba is not the first journalist to go missing. At least two others were taken this week as well. Anton was working in Ukraine. The reporters need to be careful when working in these areas.

"I strongly condemn this incident. Journalists must not become targets just for fulfilling their professional duties," said Dunja Mijatovic, the representative for media freedom at the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe. Several different people have spoken out as well but nothing is doing any good.

CNN did not admit that he was taken at first in hopes that they could get him released. So far this has not been able to happen and they are still just waiting. It actually happened on Tuesday night. Now it is just a waiting game to see if they will actually release this CNN reporter without harming him.

Army fighters and a senior official were who picked him up. The officil later introduced himself as Alexandr Kalyussky, the deputy prime minister in charge of industry in the Donetsk People's Republic. He tried to say that Anton Skiba was guilty of terrorism. They had printouts with them from Anton Skiba's Facebook and more that they say were evidence against him.