Equestrian excitement abounds for the second weekend of August, as horse lovers race to training clinics, breed and open shows, trail rides, and other horse-related events.
State and county fairs still draw horse enthusiasts and others across the American Midwest, with the Wisconsin State Fair continuing through Sunday, August 11.
Tons of horse happenings draw active equestrians from Friday, August 9, through Sunday, August 11.
Equestrian participants and spectators are advised to call show and event venues ahead to confirm times and other details. Last-minute changes and cancellations may occur.
Check out this roundup of show bills and flyers for Midwestern horse-related happenings occurring during the second weekend of August:
- Enrique Martinez presents an equestrian clinic at Big Valley Ranch in Avoca, Wisconsin, from August 9 to 11.
- In Oostburg, Wisconsin, the Beaver Creek Saddle and Bridle Club holds an All-Speed Show on August 9.
- Also on August 9, the Pekin Riding Club hosts a Fun Show for youth and adults in Pekin, Illinois. A Traditional and Western Dressage Schooling Show follows on August 10.
- Washington County’s 4-H horse group offers a Twilight Show on August 9 at the Fair Park Grounds in West Bend, Wisconsin.
- The Louise Riedel Bra Buster Memorial Ride is set for August 10 and 11 in Arkdale, Wisconsin.
- In Old Mill Creek, Illinois, the Mill Creek Hunt features an Adult Hunt Clinic and Hunt on August 10 and 11.
- The Jackson County Fair Park, in Black River Falls, Wisconsin, welcomes the Wisconsin Foundation Quarter Horse Association on August 10 and 11 for a horse show.
- On August 10, Cross Winds Farm has an Open Horse Show scheduled in Marengo, Illinois.
- Thunder Hills Ranch, of Portage, Wisconsin, presents an Open House and PTSD Retreat Awareness Fundraiser, including a horsemanship clinic with Dan Grunewald, on August 10.
- In Oregon, Wisconsin, the Haflinger Owners of Wisconsin visit Mandt Equestrian Center for an August 10 horse show.
- Mullagh Farm, of New Richmond, Wisconsin, concludes the It’s Time to Ride series with a speed show on August 10.
- Also on August 10, Endless Valley Stables continues its 2013 Open Horse Show program with an event in Spring Green, Wisconsin.
- The Rodeo City Riders add another Fun Show to their 2013 series with an August 10 installment at the Manawa Rodeo Grounds of Wisconsin.
- In Arena, Wisconsin, the S Reverse S Arena Open Show Series wraps with a show on August 10.
- A BBQ at the Sugarbaker Ranch, hosted by the Southern Kettle Moraine Horse Trail Association, is on-deck for August 10 in Eagle, Wisconsin.
- West 20 Ranch and Saddle Company, of East Troy, Wisconsin, adds an August 10 event to its Annual Open Pleasure Horse Show Series.
- On August 11, the Westby Bar W Pleasure Horse Show steps off at the Wild West Days Grounds, in Viroqua, Wisconsin.
Please note: Thank you for reading and for sharing the link to this article with others. Feel free to +1, Digg, Facebook, Pin, Stumble, Tweet, or otherwise pass the http link along. However, this content is copyrighted, so the actual article (or images) may not be copied and reposted on blogs, social networking sites, websites, or elsewhere.
Readers: You are invited to subscribe (confidentially and free) to receive e-mail updates whenever this columnist publishes a new article. Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page.
Equestrian event managers and hosts: Do you have upcoming shows, clinics, or other highlights to share? Email the Madison Equestrian Examiner with flyers and details.
Writers: Want to learn how you can join Examiner as a columnist in your choice of cities and topics? Email me for details.