Keith Cipielewski of Bradenton and Cindy Grich of Nokomis captured top honors in the Senior Mixed Doubles division of the 8th annual Beverly J. Wright Memorial Tournament, conducted at Cypress Lanes Family Fun Center in Winter Haven over the weekend (July 19-20).
Cipielewski started slowly, with a 165 game, but finished strong with scores of 223 and 245 for a 633 series, while Grich pounded out a consistent 645 series on games of 217, 214 and 214. Their net score, including handicap, was 1,470, which was 19 pins better than the runner-up score of 1,451 posted by Cliff and Cathy McCullough of Orlando.
"Both Cindy and I were very surprised that we won, especially since I opened with a 165, but she stayed consistent, and I finally found the right ball to finish with 223 and 245," Cipielewski said. "It was great to have another win with Cindy, and she was excited to win because this is her first time bowling a senior event."
Jesse Rodriguez and Karen Boyd of Broward County each blasted identical scratch series of 750 to prevail in the Mixed Doubles category with a net pinfall of 1,539. Rodriguez blasted games of 267, 278 and 205, while Boyd rolled scores of 214, 258 and 278. Even so, their margin of victory was only 10 pins over Ken and Cathy Johnson of Lakeland, who totaled 1,529.
The Open Scratch competition was won by Kristos Sergejevas of Babson Park with a five-game score of 1,022. The Webber International University bowler, who hails from Lithuania, jump-started his series with a 288 game, then finished with scores of 158, 181, 200 and 195 to win by 15 pins over Sean Riccardi of St. Petersburg, who totaled 1,007.
Other champions were: Polly Meredith of Winter Haven, with 696 in Super Seniors; Samantha Linder of Lakeland, with 1,156 in the Ladies 5-Game Scratch; and Milka Vargas of Tampa, with 1,207 in the Ladies 5-Game Handicap.
Tournament proceeds are earmarked for the Susan G. Komen Foundation for breast cancer research, and the Beverly J. Wright Memorial Fund, and the tourney, was founded to honor a lady who lost a courageous battle with breast cancer.
John and Peggy Cismesia of Parrish were among the champions crowned in the seventh annual tournament, conducted last July, and to read an Examiner.com report on the 2013 competition, click here.
The top three finishers in each of the six tournament categories:
- SENIOR MIXED DOUBLES: 1, Keith Cipielewski and Cindy Grich (Sarasota) 1,470; 2, Cliff McCullough and Kathy McCullough (Orlando) 1,451; 3, John Spencer and Patricia Davis (Lakeland) 1,441.
- MIXED DOUBLES: 1, Jesse Rodriguez and Karen Boyd (Broward County) 1,539; 2, Ken Johnson and Cathy Johnson (Lakeland) 1,529; 3, Richard Belcher and Mary Berner (Fort Myers) 1,475.
- SCRATCH OPEN: 1, Kristos Sergejevas (Babson Park) 1,022; 2, Sean Riccardi (St. Petersburg) 1,007; 3, Jesse Rodriguez (Broward County) 1,006.
- SUPER SENIORS: 1, Polly Meredith (Winter Haven) 696; 2, Diana Eichlin (Lakeland) 675; 3, Sandy Kelley (Spring Hill) 674.
- LADIES 5-GAME SCRATCH: 1, Samantha Linder (Lakeland) 1,156; 2, Jenn Boisselle (Palm Beach) 1,146; 3, Alyssa Harper (DeLand) 1,130.
- LADIES 5-GAME HANDICAP: 1, Milka Vargas (Tampa) 1,207; 2, Jennifer Trevino (Lakeland) 1,178; 3, Tracy McCoy (Lakeland) 1,174.
For a complete list of standings in each event, visit the tournament Web site by clicking here.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's bowling columns -- free of charge -- by clicking on "subscribe" near the top of the column, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]