Cindy Grich was easily the headline performer in the Sarasota-Manatee County USBC Bowling Association's annual Women's Championship Tournament, conducted at Sarasota Lanes over the weekend (March 22-23).
In breezing to the Division A singles title, Grich blasted games of 216, 279 and 255 for a 750 scratch series, which, coupled with 78 handicap pins, gave her a net total of 828. She also won all-events with a nine-game handicap score of 2,260, and she teamed with Beth Owen-Cipielewski to top the Division A doubles leaderboard with 1,503.
The four-player team championship went to Striking Ladies -- consisting of Karen Shaffer, Wendy Perna, Lisa Kuzniczci and Alison Shedrow -- with a score of 2,745.
Other first-place finishers were Ashley Cote, with a net pinfall of 757 in Division B singles, and Darlene Bonds and Dianna Shaw, with a 1,406 score in Division B doubles.
Owen-Cipielewski was prominent on the overall leaderboard. In addition to her doubles title, she was a member of the runner-up SKOB team, was second in all-events and tied for the No. 2 spot in Division A singles.
Karen Shaffer wound up in second place in two events -- Division B doubles (with Perna) and Division B singles -- in addition to being a member of the winning team. And Perna also was runner-up in Division B doubles and third in Division B singles.
According to the final, unofficial tournament standings, a complete list of prize-list cashers, along with their respective scores, follows:
- TEAM EVENT: 1, Striking Ladies (Karen Shaffer, Wendy Perna, Lisa Kuzniczci, Alison Shedrow) 2,745; 2, Siesta Key Oyster Bar (Beth Owen-Cipielewski, Jean Clearwater, Janet Romig, Cindy Grich) 2,722; 3, C&L Awards (Cecilia Butler, Dian Curran, Marlene Fisher, Cynthia Territo) 2,678; 4, Girls Gone Wild (Janice Muri, Trish Baier, Ashley Cote, Peggy Parker) 2,599.
- DIVISION A DOUBLES: 1, Cindy Grich and Beth Owen-Cipielewski 1,503.
- DIVISION B DOUBLES: 1, Darlene Bonds and Dianna Shaw 1,406; 2, Wendy Perna and Karen Shaffer 1,370; 3, Peggy Parker and Ashley Cote 1,367; 4, Roberta Robeck and Margie Smith 1,364; 5, Linda Anderson and Billie Huff 1,363; 6, Janice Muri and Trish Baier 1,361.
- DIVISION A SINGLES: 1, Cindy Grich 828; 2 (tie) Paula Wenzel and Beth Owen-Cipielewski 736.
- DIVISION B SINGLES: 1, Ashley Cote 757; 2, Karen Shaffer 735; 3, Wendy Perna 728.
- HANDICAP ALL-EVENTS: 1, Cindy Grich 2,260; 2, Beth Owen-Cipielewski 2,183; 3, Wendy Perna 2,175; 4, Ashley Cote 2,122; 5, Rochelle Banks 2,061; 6, Alison Shedrow 2,051; 7, Margery Ozner 2,049; 8, Darlene Bonds 2,022; 9, Peggy Parker 2,017; 10, Karen Shaffer 2,015; 11, Jean Clearwater 2,013.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's bowling columns -- free of charge -- by clicking on "Subscribe" near the top of the article, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published].