Ole it’s almost Cinco de Mayo when Mexicans celebrate their Independence Day which was achieved by the Mexican army's victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. It is also a time, especially in Los Angeles when margaritas and shots of tequila flow freely during festivals and parties which often means crudas (hangovers).
If you’re planning to tie one on in honor of the occasion this coming Monday, you need to stock up on Resqwater Anti-Hangover Drink. Amigos, it works. How do I know this? Well okay after having a little too much wine one night last week, waking up with a mondo headache, and having received samples from the couples I drank a bottle with my breakfast the next morning. I felt better almost immediately.
I went to the company’s web site to find out how this miracle remedy works and it listed ingredients and their benefits:
- N-Acetal L-Cysteine--a non-essential amino acid, NAC that helps your liver convert something called acetaldehyde—a substance that is up to 30 times more damaging to your body than alcohol—into acetic acid, which is harmless to your body.
- Water—alcohol can act as a diuretic—meaning your body uses more water to process them than you’re taking in. That’s why water is the basis of RESQWATER, and eight ounces at that. The goal is to keep you from feeling the unpleasant side effects of dehydration—a very common result from drinking.
- Sucrose--the liver requires a lot of sugar to process drinks—particularly when you’ve tossed back a few. Consequently, if you don’t replenish that sugar, you may feel the effects of hypoglycemia, which include things like feeling dizzy, disoriented, or slurring your speech.
- Prickly Pear Cactus Fruit Extract--Research has shown Prickly Pear extract to be helpful in terms of decreasing inflammation and thus—reducing some of the after-effects of drinking—such as, nausea, lack of appetite and dry mouth.
- Electrolytes—following many trips to the bathroom (we sure hope you make it to the bathroom) deplete your body of its electrolytes, which are needed to keep your muscular and nervous systems running at tip-top and to avoid dehydration.
- B Vitamins—the company developed a new appreciation of the B Vitamin group when it discovered that a number of scientific studies have shown that both B1 (Thiamin) and B6 ease the symptoms one experiences after having had a number of drinks.
- Milk Thistle--Thistles are a bear to milk, but well worth it. Milk thistle contains an active ingredient called silymarin which is both an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. Experts believe milk thistle helps promote healthy liver function and even benefit livers that have been damaged by toxins.
Resqwater was created in 2007 in Scottsdale, Arizona, where Steve, a local businessman was enjoying a few belts with friends. The next morning Steve didn’t feel so good having developed, what he called, “A Grand Canyon-sized hangover.”
“Why does this happen,” Steve asked no one in particular until he decided to do some research and learned that there were some substances and ingredients that the medical field uses to help the body combat the negative effects of alcohol, but there was not a beverage that formulated the ingredients together. He knew he was on to something, enlisted a chemist and after two years Resqwater was born at the Big Pour (a brew fest) in Scottsdale.