Supermodel Christy Turlington Burns, "Top Chef" winner Richard Blais, and ultra-marathoner Dean Karnazes has joined Pamela Anderson among the celebrity runners who will participate in the 2013 New York City Marathon.
“We always look forward to having our celebrity runners be a part of the ING New York City Marathon,” New York Road Runners CEO Mary Wittenberg said in a press release Sept. 24.
“Star power helps spread the story of the power of the Marathon and the benefits of running. Each of these notable participants are admirable advocates of healthy living, and exhibit a refreshing sense of determination to take on the ultimate challenge of 26.2 miles.”
Other celebrity marathoners this year include Olympic swimming gold medalist Summer Sanders, actor Patrick Wilson, restaurateur Joe Bastianich, and reality TV star Bill Rancic.
These celebrities will join 48,000 other runners this year, after last year's race was canceled two days before the event, amid criticism that the NYC Marathon was diverting resources away from recovery efforts for Hurricane Sandy.
Most of the celebrities are running to raise funds for a particular charity. Last month, former "Baywatch" star Pamela Anderson made headlines after announcing that she planned to run on behalf of Haiti earthquake relief. Anderson, 46, is not a runner, but said she wanted to do something for her charity other than cheer at the finish line.
The full list of celebrity runners in the 2013 NYC Marathon is below:
- Stephanie Abrams, meteorologist, the Weather Channel
- Pamela Anderson, animal-rights activist and actor
- Joe Bastianich, restaurateur, judge on "Master Chef"
- Michelle Beadle, sports reporter
- Richard Blais, chef, restaurateur
- Brett Claywell, actor
- Dean Karnazes, ultra-marathoner
- Nick Kypreos, former New York Rangers
- Carol Mead, First Lady of Wyoming
- Fredrik Normark, Ninja, "The Hives"
- Sarah Reinertsen, first female leg-amputee to complete Ironman World Championship
- Bill Rancic, reality star, winner of NBC’s "The Apprentice"
- Summer Sanders, Olympic swimming gold medalist
- Brian Sears, actor
- Nick Spangler, winner of "Amazing Race" Season 2
- Greg T, radio personality
- Christy Turlington Burns, model
- Patrick Wilson, actor
The 2013 New York City Marathon takes place Nov. 3.