Even though Christmas has come and gone, you might want to spoil your dog a little bit longer. Assuming Fido didn't overindulge as much as most human counterparts during the holiday season, baking them a homemade treat is sure to be a hit. This Christmas Cake for pups is full of the flavours of the season and is a great way to allow them to enjoy holiday treats in a healthy manner. Try it out and let me know how it goes!
2 cups whole wheat flour
¼ cup wheat germ
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup molasses
½ cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 apple, cored and chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Coat the inside of a 12-cup bundt pan with vegetable oil and flour.
3. Combine the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, and cinnamon and set it aside.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the molasses and oil. Add the eggs in one by one and beat the mixture until they blend in. Add in the vanilla, along with ½ cup of water.
5. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir until it becomes smooth.
6. Fold in the chopped apple pieces.
7. Pour the batter into the greased bundt pan and place in the oven. Bake for approximately 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
8. Allow the cake to cool completely before serving.
This recipe is great because you can mix up the ingredients (try replacing the apple with your pet's favourite fruit!) and it can also be used as a healthy birthday cake. If using as a treat, serve in small amounts.