Christmas and New Year can be confusing when it comes to when something is open or not. Below is a list of some of the most important opening and closing times during Christmas, New Year’s eve and New Year's Day for the post office, government offices, and hours for most major stores. According to a Madison.com report on Dec. 23, 2013, in regard to government offices, there are differences whether it is on a city, county, state, or federal level.
Government, USPS post office Christmas and New Year’s Day hours:
Not unlike the rest of the year, when it comes to government offices and their Christmas and New Year’s opening times, the best advice is to check it out before making any plans with government offices. On a city, county, or state level, most government offices are closed on Dec. 24, Dec. 25, and Jan. 1, and will reopen the day after the holiday. All federal offices, including USPS post offices, are closed on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day since they are federal holidays.
On Dec. 24 and Dec. 31, most post offices will close at noon but regular mail delivery will be as usual. “Express Mail only will be delivered on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. All Post Offices will be open and regular mail delivery will resume Dec. 26 and Jan. 2.”
Unlike government offices and post offices, stores are staying open for Christmas and New Year’s Day more than ever before.
Christmas 2013 Dec. 24 store hours:
- Kohl's: Open nonstop until 6 p.m. Christmas Eve
- Walmart: Open nonstop until 8 p.m. Christmas Eve
- Macy's: Open until 2 a.m. Tuesday morning, open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Christmas Eve
- Sears: Open until 6 p.m. Christmas Eve
- Target: Open until 9 p.m. Christmas Eve
- Toys R Us: Open until 9 p.m. Christmas Eve
Christmas 2013 Dec. 25 store and restaurant hours:
- Christmas is the one day a year Walmart, Target, and Kroger are closed along with most other stores.
- Costco is closed
- Walgreeens and CVS stores will be open Christmas Day
- Most (but not all) iHop, Dennys, McDonald’s, Waffle House restaurants will stay open Christmas Day.
- Buca di Beppo is open Christmas Day (one of the few major restaurant chains open)
After Christmas Day, stores like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Macy's, and all of the largest U.S. retail chains once again battle for their customers with early store openings and late store closings.
Christmas 2013 Dec. 26, all day after-Christmas clearance sale store hours:
- Macy’s: 6:00 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Home Depot: 6:00 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Dick’s Sporting Goods: 7:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Old Navy: 7:00 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Target: 7:00 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Toys R Us: 8:00 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Costco: 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Walmart: Since many Walmart stores change their individual hours, it is best to call a specific Walmart store
New Year’s Day store hours:
- Costco is closed.
- Best Buy: Most stores will open at 10:00 a.m. and close at 7:00 p.m.
- IKEA: Stores will be open 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Kmart: Stores will be open 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Macy's: Stores will open at 10 a.m. and close at 9:00 p.m.
- Target, Toys R Us, and many other stores will remain their regular business hours.
- Walmart: Stores will open at 6:00 a.m. but 24-hour Walmart locations will remain open during normal hours.
Generally, most stores are open according to regular business hours on New Year’s evening. However, since some stores might change their hours, it is best to call a specific store. Most stores have a recording that lists all Christmas and New Year's holiday hours and the call takes just a few seconds.