All 10 candidates are superstars who have represented their countries at the FIFA Women’s World Cup. Three of the 10 play in North America’s Women’s Professional Soccer, while four play in Germany, two play in Sweden and one plays in France.
The final decisions will be made by the captains and head coaches of the women’s national teams as well as by international media representatives selected by FIFA.
Here are the 10 contenders:
- Nadine Angerer (Germany & 1. FFC Frankfurt)
- Nilla Fischer (Sweden & Linköping FC)
- Lena Goessling (Germany & VfL Wolfsburg)
- Saku Kumagai (Japan & 1. FFC Frankfurt)
- Marta (Brazil & Tyreso FF)
- Alex Morgan (USA & Portland Thorns FC)
- Yūki Ōgimi (Japan & 1.FFC Tribune Potsdam)
- Lotta Schelin (Sweden & FCF Olympique Lyonnais)
- Christine Sinclair (Canada & Portland Thorns FC)
- Abby Wambach (USA & Western New York Flash)
The winner will be revealed at the FIFA Ballon d’Or gala as part of a televised soccer awards show at the Zurich Kongresshaus on Jan. 13.