Big shocker this week on "Dancing With The Stars" as Christina Milian, one of this season's better dancers, was eliminated from the show. She and her professional dance partner, Mark Ballas, were voted off the show Monday evening, giving the actress/singer/social media correspondent a ninth place finish overall. The reveal was such a surprise to Milian that she became emotional.
The emotions may have come to the fore also due the fact that she no longer has a job to go back to on NBC's "The Voice," where she was the social media correspondent for the past three seasons.
As "Good Morning America" noted (via Yahoo News) Oct. 15, Christina Milian had scored one of the highest scores on Monday night and had actually scored the season's first "10." Couples are eliminated by getting the lowest score from the combined scoring of last week's audience votes and the judges scores from this week. Apparently, Milian's fan votes were just too low for the judges scores to save her.
"It was her best dance yet," Mark Ballas told "GMA." "It was her best score [s] yet, so I guess you could say we went out with a bang."
"Dancing With The Stars" co-host Brooke Burke noted that there was "shock in the ballroom." And there was. When Milian's name was announced, there was an awkward silence and not a few boos.
Milian was candid about her reaction to the elimination. "It's a true shock," she told the "DWTS" hosts Monday night, according to CBS News. "I wasn't expecting that, but we had I think the best performance tonight that we had thus far. I wouldn't want to leave on any other note but this way."
Those betting that Milian would make the finale might have been as shocked as the "Be Cool" actress was. She began the season at 13/4 odds of winning Season 17's Mirror Ball Trophy, the second best odds overall. Only Corbin Bleu had better odds to win it all.
So... where to now? "She is not [returning]" -- to "The Voice," an NBC spokesperson told Reality TV World in late August. "At this time she is concentrating on her album and releasing a single with Young Money."
But that may have been simply a nice way of eliminating her as the social media correspondent on NBC's hit show. In a rather intrusive feature where Milian spoke with "The Voice" contestants and occasionally interacted with the judges and host, the 32-year-old seemed to spend more time talking than interviewing or talking about social media. In fact, the position (which had been part of the show since its inception, Milian taking over after Season 1 from Alison Haislip) has not been filled for Season 5.
Perez Hilton and other media outlets passed along rumors that Christina Milian may have been "let go" by NBC. As KTLA in Los Angeles noted prior to NBC's announcement, her position on the show was part of a sponsored segment which helped the show's "bottom line" (profitability), but her "impact" on the show was questionable.
Regardless, it now appears that she will have more time than she expected to work on her fourth studio album.
"Dancing With The Stars" airs on Mondays at 8 p.m. (EST) on ABC Television.