Guerrero (31-2-1, 18 knockouts) of Gilroy, CA, is a former multi-division world champion that has been out of action since losing a very one sided unanimous decision to pound-for-pound king Floyd "Money" Mayweather last May. Signing with Haymon comes as a bit of a surprise, as the majority of Haymon's fighters are either signed to Golden Boy Promotions, or have a close working relationship with the company.
Earlier this year, Guerrero sought to break his promotional agreement with Golden Boy for unspecified reasons. Team Guerrero looked to the State of California for help in the matter but was rejected as his contract is under the jurisdiction of New York law.
"We're just ready to fight, and we'll let Al Haymon handle all of that business with Golden Boy," said Luis DeCubas Jr., Guerrero's co-manager with Bob Santos, in a March 22 interview with RingTV.com.
The Ghost has not fought since May 4, when he was dominated by Mayweather. Now, he is ready to get back into the ring and have a very successful 2014.
"I want to thank Bob Santos and Luis Decubas Jr. for bringing Al Haymon on board. I also want to thank Al Haymon for bringing me on his team and supporting me on my future endeavors. I'm looking forward to being in big fights moving forward and 2014 is going to be a great year for me. I can't wait to get back in the ring for all my fans," said Guerrero in a prepared statement.
Guerrero joins a list of top fighters in the Haymon stable, including Mayweather, Adonis Stevenson, Danny Garcia, Adrien Broner, Shawn Porter, Amir Khan and Paulie Malignaggi to name a few.
FightHype.com was one of the first outlets to publicly announce the possibility of Guerrero signing with Haymon, information that has been confirmed over the weekend.