Skip to main content

See also:

Chris Harrison says ‘The Bachelor’ season 19 star hasn’t been decided yet

Hold your horses, farmer fans! Chris Soules is not a shoe-in to be the next star of “The Bachelor.” While longtime host Chris Harrison hinted that the 32-year-old Iowa farmer was a front runner for the coveted spot as the franchise’s 19th star, on Tuesday he set the record straight.

LOS ANGELES, CA - JULY 27: TV host Chris Harrison attends the 2014 Young Hollywood Awards brought to you by Samsung Galaxy at The Wiltern on July 27, 2014 in Los Angeles, California.
Photo by Ari Perilstein

On his Entertainment Weekly blog on July 29, Harrison downplayed the fact that he smiled and patted Soules on the back when talking about the upcoming “Bachelor” announcement during the live finale broadcast of Andi Dorfman’s season of “The Bachelorette,” and he revealed that no one has been signed for the spot. Yet.

“More than a few of you tweeted me last night reminding me that I forgot to announce who the new Bachelor is,” Harrison wrote. “Believe it or not I didn’t forget to announce something that big. The truth is we haven’t decided 100 percent on whom that is yet.”

The host with the most went on to describe the show’s super serious selection process, and he revealed that producers are coming close to making a decision, but they didn’t want to rush into it just for the sake of Monday’s live broadcast.

“I am a part of these heated debates, and I can promise you one took place last night after the show, so it’s still not a done deal,” Harrison added. He promised to keep fans posted via his Twitter page as to when the official announcement will be made.

While Soules is surely a frontrunner and fits the show’s usual “mold” for a prospective “Bachelor” star (he made it to the hometown dates with Dorfman, but not to the final two), producers could be ready to shake things up by bringing a blast from the past back to the fold.

Last week, Radar Online reported that Arie Luyendyk Jr. was in talks to be the next star of the ABC reality romance show. The popular race car driver, first seen on Emily Maynard’s season of “The Bachelorette,” reportedly even had footage for the show shot at his home in Arizona, and he’s gone on record in the past as saying he’d do the show if asked. “I think I would [do it] if it didn’t conflict with racing and if I wasn’t dating anyone,” Luyendyk told CupidsPulse.com last year.

And Soules has also made it clear he’d love the chance to date 25 women, telling Yahoo TV it would be a “no-brainer” for him to sign on as the show’s 19th “Bachelor” star.

And there's always Dorfman's disgruntled runner up, Nick Viall. If anyone would cause producers to get into "heated debates," it would be him.

“The Bachelor” Season 19 begins filming this fall and will air in early 2015 on ABC.