New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie made his first appearance on CBS-television network’s “Late Show with David Letterman” on Monday night, according to CBS. Letterman has done more than one comedian’s share of making fun of and cracking jokes regarding Christie’s sizable girth for quite some time.
Playing right into that history – for lack of a better term – with the popular late night comedian, Christie addressed the weight issue with humor as well. A short distance into the interview, Christie took a doughnut out of his pocket and started to eat it. He claimed that he didn’t know the segment was going to be as long as it was – implying that he had a difficult time going without some sugar for a very long period of time. Dave joined in and took a bite of the doughnut as well.
Besides joking about needing a doughnut, he said that about 40 percent of Letterman’s jokes about his weight were actually funny – leaving 60 percent as not so funny, of course. Christie also said that – in spite of the fat jokes made by Letterman about him – he really liked Letterman. Or, as he said, he has a deep and abiding love for the late night comedian.
After being prompted on the topic, Christie said that he will laugh at a fat joke about himself if it is funny. He also said that he never felt like Letterman’s fat jokes aimed at him were anything that really bothered him much.
In recent times, Christie has also appeared on Saturday Night Live in the “Weekend Update” segment with Seth Meyers.
On a serious note, Christie's weight was mentioned repeatedly during the presidential election of 2012 when he was being considered as a presidential candidate. Some felt that potential health issues related to his heaviness were a reason to not support him as a presidential candidate.