What happens when you perfect an individual chocolate cake, made with pure chocolate, and then top the masterpiece with luscious orbs of white chocolate truffles? You get what can only be described as a Chocolate Rapture!
Each of these cakes gets topped with three, yes three, lovely white chocolate truffles and the secret to this white chocolate truffle crown is the timing. As soon as you remove the cakes from the oven, into the well at the top of the cake, you put one truffle. Once that melts (and it oozes into the cake) you put another. This one too will melt and once it is soft enough, you add the third truffle.
The only thing special you will need to make these unreal little desserts are mini bundt pans. You can find them at all stores which sell bakeware and they will cost less than a dollar apiece. As far as the chocolate is concerned, you only want the best dark chocolate with a cocoa index of 70 to 80% (it will say on the label) . For the white chocolate truffles, here at the restaurant we use the Lindt brand. I think you'll be surprised just how easy this gourmet masterpiece is to make at home!
Ingredients needed to make Chocolate Rapture with a White Chocolate Truffle Crown (makes 4 cakes):
- 4 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 12 Lindt white chocolate truffles
- Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees. Spray 4 mini bundt pans with non-stick spray.
- Place the chocolate into a heavy saucepan and let melt over low heat.
- Into a mixer, with the paddle attachment, add the butter and sugar and beat until pale. Add the eggs and beat until very well combined. Add the melted chocolate and beat until it has been incorporated.
- Into the butter mixture beat in the pecans, flour and salt until a stiff batter forms.
- Equally spoon the batter into each of the prepared mini bundt pans and smooth out.
- Place the pans on a baking sheet, place in the oven and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove the pans from the oven and let cool, in their pans, 5 minutes. Invert (turnover) the pans to remove the cakes.
- Place a white chocolate truffle into the well (the indentation at the top) of each of the cakes. When it melts, place another truffle. Once the second truffle has softened, top with the third truffle.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."