When southern women put out a dessert table, you can bet the farm there will be at least three different types of cobblers; and most recipes have been passed down by Grandmothers generation after generation. Well here is a cobbler that your grandmother never knew about and it is filled with chocolate!
Another chocolate favorite is a chocolate french silk pie. It's easy to make and is truly an amazing experience to indulge in this rich dessert.
Cobblers are typically fruit based. A cobbler is simple dessert with a layer of yellow or white crumbly cake on top and heavy syrupy fruit on the bottom. Now imagine the crumbly cake as chocolate and instead of fruit, the bottom is filled with a chocolate gooey layer that some may think about pudding and other might think about a chocolate mud layer. Oh yes, it is heavenly and rich. Hungry yet?
Not your grandma’s chocolate cobbler
- 1 C self-rising flour (or 1C all-purpose flour + 1tsp baking powder + ¼ tsp salt)
- ¾ C sugar
- 2Tbs Cocoa
- ½ C milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2Tbs Vegetable Oil
- 1 C mini chocolate chips
- ¾ C brown sugar
- ¼ C cocoa
- 1 ¾ hot tap water
- Preheat oven to 350* and grease an 8x8 pan
- Mix together flour, sugar and cocoa
- Add milk, vanilla, oil and mini chocolate chips
- Mix well and pour into greased pan
- Mix brown sugar and cocoa together to form a crumbly topping. Sprinkle over mixture in pan
- Very very slowly (did I mention slowly?) pour the hot water all over the cobbler (I don't know why, but it is very important to pour very slowly)
- Bake at 350* for 40 to 45 minutes (you don’t want any water remaining on top, so add more time if you need to)
- The mini chocolate chips are optional, you could also add in chopped nuts if you’d like or not add anything
- Best served warm with vanilla frozen yogurt or vanilla ice cream
- If you want to double this recipe, mix two batches of the cake mixture and pour each batch into a prepared large glass pan. It takes less than 5 minutes and it taste better than just doubling each ingredient.
- Prepare to tell people that the recipe flopped so that you do not have to share it
Chocolate cobbler is a relatively new dessert. It’s not yet a staple at most picnics or potlucks; therefore this can be a unique dish that will make you very popular. This may not have been around during Grandma’s day, but Grandma sure would have loved it!
Thanks for reading Raleigh Food! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!