Makes 24 scones
- 4 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup small dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter - chilled and cut into small pieces
- 2 large eggs - beaten
- Zest from 5 oranges, lightly chopped
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream mixed with 1 egg yolk for brushing
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the white flour, flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mix well.
- Cut the butter into the bowl until the mixture resembles course sand. Break the egg into a 1-cup measure and add milk to make 2/3 cup.
- In a separate small bowl, mix egg and milk.
- Add egg/milk, orange zest and chocolate chips to the big bowl and mix with fingers into a ball shape. Continuing to use hands, knead the dough 6 or 7 times and then break into 2 equal portions.
- Place each lump of dough on it's own greased cookie sheet. Press down to create a thick disk.
- Score each disc into 6 wedges. Brush with heavy cream/egg mixture.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Test doneness by inserting a toothpick in a thicker part of one of the scones. If the toothpick comes out batter-free then the scones are done.
- Cool slightly and sift on powdered sugar
Serve with butter and orange marmalade.