A very strong earthquake has hit south-west China on Sunday, Aug. 3, 2014, and according to the BBC, at least 150 people have been killed so far. There are said to be dozens more injure, and those numbers are very likely to rise as the day goes on. The U.S. Geological Survey states that it was a magnitude 6.1-earthquake that struck about seven miles north-west of Wenping in Yunnan province.
Original reports came out from Yahoo News that 26 people had been killed and around 79 injured, but those numbers quickly escalated.
Ma Liya, a resident of Ludian's county seat, told Xinhua that the streets after the China earthquake were like a "battlefield after bombardment." She stated that she even saw a two-story building, her neighbor's house, topple over during the quake.
There are reports of not just many office buildings, but also a lot of homes just collapsing from the force of the earthquake. Rescue workers have been going non-stop to try and rescue as many of the injured as they can and determine the casualties.
The earthquake is being reported as the strongest one to hit Yunnan in the past 14 years. The earthquake loosened some rocks that blocked a road near the city of Zhaotong and some cars were damaged by the shifting.
Early reports have the Zhaotong region being hit the hardest by the earthquake and all casualties so far have been reported in Qiaojia County.
Back in 1970, a magnitude 7.7 earthquake in Yunnan killed over 15,000 people.