Skip to main content
  1. Life
  2. Green
  3. Green Living

Chimney fire at home of chimney sweep in Independence

See also

A chimney fire was caught early and contained to the chimney last night at 7:15 p.m. in Independence, Missouri. A passerby saw flames shooting out of the top of a stainless steel chimney serving a wood stove and ran to the door of the homeowners and knocked loudly to warn them.

More Photos

The fire occurred in the home of local chimney sweep Gene Padgitt, who had just loaded wood into the stove 15 minutes earlier. "I opened up the air intake to get the new wood going, then started making dinner and forgot about it," said Padgitt. "I had just told my wife a day earlier that it was about time for me to sweep the chimney. Obviously I waited too long."

After hearing the knock on the door the homeowner realized his mistake and knew what it must be about. As he approached the wood-burning stove, he heard the telltale roaring sound that happens during a chimney fire. Since the homeowners had been in another room at the time they did not hear the sound and were unaware of the chimney fire.

After shutting down the air intake to starve the stove of oxygen, the fire quickly went out. The chimney pipe glowed red for several minutes and glowing burning creosote shot out of the top of the chimney onto the roof and ground. The next morning burnt creosote were spotted all around the roof and yard, which were covered with snow. The chimney pipe is damaged and will need to be replaced at a cost of approximately $1,000.

According to the Midwest Chimney Safety Council, it is not uncommon for chimney fires to occur and go unnoticed by the homeowners. Most chimney fires are contained to the chimney, but if a chimney is installed improperly or has damaged, the fire can escape to the home. Burning embers can catch a roof on fire.

Chimneys serving wood stoves should be swept out twice during the wood-burning season and open fireplaces should be inspected annually and swept as necessary to remove flammable creosote. A CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep is best qualified to do this work.

Gene Padgitt said that he is mortified by the incident. "For 31 years I've been telling everyone to be sure to have their chimney cleaned to avoid chimney fires, and for it to happen to me is inexcusable."

Related articles:
House fire in Kansas caused by fireplace embers
Wood-burning heating options to keep warm during Arctic blast
Home disasters that could have been avoided December
Five house fires in Kansas City area related to fireplaces and chimneys

Advertisement

Life

  • Dead babies found
    Seven dead babies were found in Utah resident Megan Huntsman's old home
    Video
    Shocking Discovery
  • Kendall Jenner
    Get the Coachella looks: Kendall Jenner’s nose ring, green hair and edgy nails
    Camera
    Coachella Look
  • Dog's Easter basket
    How to fill your dog’s Easter basket with the perfect toys
    Easter Basket
  • Rabbit owners
    Bringing home the bunny: Important information for rabbit owners
    Camera
    7 Photos
  • Haunted island
    The world’s most haunted island may soon be the most haunted luxury resort
    Haunted Resort
  • Sunken ferry
    Search continues for missing passengers after a ferry sinks off the South Korean coast
    Video
    Sunken Ferry

User login

Log in
Sign in with your email and password. Or reset your password.
Write for us
Interested in becoming an Examiner and sharing your experience and passion? We're always looking for quality writers. Find out more about Examiner.com and apply today!