This proven private chili recipe is easy to make and uses simple ingredients. This chili recipe can be mild or hot by adjusting the spices used. The secret of this chili recipe is the brand of beans and how you add the water. Your family and friends will love this chili recipe.
- Two pounds of ground beef (can use ground turkey or ground chicken)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cans Bush’s chili beans, medium
- One can plain diced tomatoes
- One can spicy diced tomatoes
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Cinnamon (sweet flavor to cut the heat)
- Cayenne pepper
- Louisiana hot sauce (can omit if you want a milder chili)
- In a large pot, brown meat over a low heat. Add diced onions and stir
- As meat is browning, add one tablespoon of chili powder, one teaspoon of garlic, one teaspoon of cayenne pepper and cook until meat is brown.
- Drain meat mixture into a paper towel lined bowl. The paper towel catches the grease and makes clean up easier.
- Pour undrained plain diced tomatoes and spicy diced tomatoes into the cooking pot, and add three cans of Bush chili beans.
- Use one can of water. To ensure flavor, fill one of the Bush’s chili beans can with water and swished it. Then pour the water into the second can, swish, and pour water into the third can. This adds flavor and liquid to the chili.
- Add drained cooked meat to the tomato and bean mixture and stir.
- Add one tablespoon of chili powder, a teaspoon of garlic powder, two teaspoons of cayenne pepper and a tablespoon of cinnamon to the chili and stir well.
- Place chili pot over a low heat to simmer, and add the Louisiana hot sauce. Cover pot and simmer for two hours, or until beans are soft and the sauce is somewhat thick. To be sure the heat is very low, stir the chili after one-half an hour, making sure the meat is not sticking to the bottom of the pot. If the meat is sticking, lower the heat.
- Do a taste test after two hours. You may want to add more spice with chili powder or cayenne pepper. If so, stir well and simmer another one half hour.
- For the best the chili can be, prepare chili several hours before serving. Once the chili has had time to cool and set, the flavor will be at its peak.
Serve with crackers or cornbread and cheese.