There’s nothing better than a big pot of chili -- it warms you from the inside out. All those flavors meld together to become one amazing taste. This chili recipe includes chocolate and cinnamon, along with the usual chili spices of cumin and chili powder – and the result is delicious!
Because chili contains a lot of different spices, it’s best to let it simmer for at least an hour. Some people swear that chili tastes better the next day, as it gives the spices time to blend. The spices should be adjusted to meet your personal taste. If you like it very hot, load up on the cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flakes.
Watch the dates on your spices to make sure that they are still fresh and flavorful. If you have a spice by McCormick, type the code into their site to see the best “use by” date. (McCormick hasn’t sold spices in tins for more than 15 years – if you have a McCormick spice in a tin it’s past the date for freshness.) No matter the distributor of the spice, here are some tips from McCormick to ensure freshness:
- Color: Check the color of an herb or spice prior to use. If the color has faded, chances are that the flavor has also.
- Aroma: Crush it in your hand and smell it – if it smells weak, it’s probably not fresh.
- Storage: Make sure that spices are stored in tightly-capped containers, away from heat, moisture and sunlight. Never store them over the stove or near a dishwasher, sink, or window.
- Handling: Never sprinkle spices and herbs directly from the bottle into a steaming pot – the moisture and heat will cause them to lose flavor. Always use a dry measuring spoon when dipping it into a spice. Replace lids immediately after use.
Best Chili Recipe
Ingredients for Best Chili:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 – 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 28-oz. can tomatoes, diced
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 15-oz. can black beans
- 1 16-oz. bag frozen corn
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 oz. dark chocolate
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tsp. chili powder
- 3 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Cheese, shredded, cheddar or cojack (garnish)
- Sour cream (garnish)
Fresh cilantro (garnish)
Directions for making Best Chili:
In a large stock pot, brown the ground beef along with the onions and garlic. Add the bell pepper and continue cooking until the beef is completely cooked. Drain any fat.
Add all ingredients except for the cheese, sour cream and cilantro (these are garnishes), bring everything to a boil and simmer for an hour.
Serve garnished with shredded cheese, sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro, with a loaf of crusty bread or crackers.
Other delicious soup recipes:
Stacy’s chicken fajita soup – a great crockpot recipe
Cheesy potato soup – delicious
Click on “SUBSCRIBE” above!