Getting children to eat their vegetables can be trying times for parents. Many do love the sweet taste of carrots but after a while plain carrots on a plate can get boring and that goes for adults as well.
Now turn those carrots with their simple shape and taste into an extraordinary side-dish that has a new unique taste and a texture that is hard to resist. Just about everyone loves fried foods once in a while so next time that mood strikes try making carrot fritters and skip the French fries.
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of canola oil
- 3 cups of shredded carrots
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Take out two mixing bowls and place the flour, salt and baking soda in one and stir.
- In the second bowl add the eggs, milk and the canola oil and whisk until well mixed.
- Gradually add the dry mixture into the egg mixture and mix until just combined.
- Then fold in the shredded carrots until they are coated evenly.
- Pour the oil into a deep-fat fryer or electric frying pan and heat till the oil reaches 375’.
- Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the carrot mixture into the hot oil and press down with the back of the spoon to flatter the mound a little.
- Fry until the fritters are golden brown approximately 1-2 minutes per side.
- Remove carrot fritters and place on paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- Transfer fritters to a platter and serve with dinner.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved