It’s that time of year again. Children are returning to school and you have to fill the dreaded lunch bag or box with something that is nourishing and something your kids won’t just trade or throw away. There are many newer rules on what can be brought to school for lunch so make sure you check to see what is appropriate for your child. Allergies are always a concern and you may not be able to send the tried and true staple of PB&J but there are other fun ideas for your children’s lunch. A helpful hint let your kids help you pack the lunch. Many times the fact that they were involved in what is packed will help to create excitement and pride of what is in the lunch and they will be more likely to eat it.
• Cream Cheese Sandwiches: Instead of the staple of PB&J try this idea. Use 2 slices of raisin bread, cover with cream cheese and their favorite jelly or jam. For fun trim the bread with cookie cutters.
• Instead of bread try a healthy whole wheat tortilla shell to make a quick wrap sandwich.
• Instead of a sandwich what about carrots sticks with a healthy dip like hummus.
• Try some cheese chunks and fruit.
• Use mini bagels instead of bread
• Try using lettuce leafs as a wrap for salads such as chicken or tuna
• Use grilled chicken on a bun or wrap and pack BBQ packs to season
• Pasta salads are a good alternative
• Chicken salad minus the large amount of mayo and instead using fruit such as grape sections and apple pieces